EV are they worth it?

But there are solutions to intermittency.. You store the energy when it's available and replenishing quickly and use the store when it's not

Energy mass storage is incredibly difficult and expensive to install, expensive to use. Once available storage is expended, then what?

Instead of bashing windmills for being intermittent compared to your beloved fossil fuels, trying to see that it's all the same thing just different timescales (the timescales of fossil fuels being irrelevant to your short life) get on board with a notion that intermittent can be smooth out by technology in a way that you can appreciate it in the time that you have left to live

They are not >my beloved fossil fuels, I am glad to see the back of them, but they need to be replaced with something clean, green ----- and economical. Windmills meet the clean spec., but I don't see them as either green, or economical. They need an incredible amount of backup, and backup is itself far from green due to all the chemicals involved.

Remember - I have worked in generation, around the UK - horrible filthy places, coal dust everywhere, including the roads around the area.

Everyone seems terrified of nuclear, but from what I see, it meets the spec. of what is needed.

Sponsored Links
So a couple of ways it is already working are:
-Intelligent Octopus (and I think others?) customers get something like 6 hours cheap EV charging a day, but the times of that charging is managed by Octopus, depending on price and demand
-Load management rewards are happening again this winter for consumers with smart meters - payments for reduced use at times of short notice acute demand, and payments for additional consumer discharge at those times from house batteries or V2G
-Sadly tiny (though technically successful) trials where car charging and V2G is managed automatically on a half-hourly basis to balance supply and demand
Just thinking - if you were in the group of Tesla owners who get free charging from Tesla Superchargers, you could charge up there, go home, and flog the power to your supplier for pure profit. :sneaky:

But what I'm really wondering is never mind V2G - what about V2H (house)?

Does anybody know how feasible it is/would/could be for an EV owner to use their car as an emergency supply just for themselves, in just the same way they could use a generator? So car -> inverter -> changeover switch?

Does anybody know how feasible it is/would/could be for an EV owner to use their car as an emergency supply just for themselves, in just the same way they could use a generator? So car -> inverter -> changeover switch?

Possible, just switch off the export. Then what do you do, with a flat car battery, next morning :)

Sponsored Links
Either wonder where that huge amount of energy had gone or wonder why I'd been such a tw@ as to use it for my house when the battery was almost flat to start with.

Back