EV are they worth it?

I think Harry has had a good stab at some figures. Even if the smoker only smoked 20 per day for only 25 years - that's a sizeable stack of cash. Of the few smokers who end up in ICU, I think they have quite comfortably paid for that bed and all their other treatment. Every case is different though. Some will go instantly with a heart attack - others may linger for a lot longer. The fact that can't be contested is that smokers have funded their treament, even before savings on pensions are factored in.

Sponsored Links
I think Harry has had a good stab at some figures. Even if the smoker only smoked 20 per day for only 25 years - that's a sizeable stack of cash. Of the few smokers who end up in ICU, I think they have quite comfortably paid for that bed and all their other treatment. Every case is different though. Some will go instantly with a heart attack - others may linger for a lot longer. The fact that can't be contested is that smokers have funded their treament, even before savings on pensions are factored in.

Sorry, but fags haven't been £9-a-pack for 25 years - never mind 50 years! Intensive care isn't the only cost to the NHS - not by a long chalk. The links in Post # 2875 explain it in more detail, but for some reason, you and Harry don't seem to like those...

Sponsored Links
F. knows why this has come up but Harry is ignoring the rate of inflation rise over the past fifty years....when i started regularly a half ounce of Golden V. cost about £1.50. An ounce about £3.20. Now a 50g pack will cost you about £32.50! If you're going to argue about that you'll have to adjust figures to include price rises accordingly. Before going on to rollies my brand was Embassy #1, or Benny hedges, if i was flush and feeling flash. They were about £1.50 per pack, i think.

Sorry, but fags haven't been £9-a-pack for 25 years - never mind 50 years! Intensive care isn't the only cost to the NHS - not by a long chalk. The links in Post # 2875 explain it in more detail, but for some reason, you and Harry don't seem to like those...

Bare, top line figures, with absolutely no data showing how it was calculated, are totally meaningless. They just make great headlines.

F. knows why this has come up but Harry is ignoring the rate of inflation rise over the past fifty years....

I deliberately ignored inflation, because everything has increased, along with the inflation - cost of health care, wages, taxes, and the ciggies.

I deliberately ignored inflation, because everything has increased, along with the inflation - cost of health care, wages, taxes, and the ciggies.

But the duty has also changed. Nobody gives the proverbial rat's ass about the cost of the baccy itself. It's the smoker's choice to go out an buy it.

Sponsored Links
Back