EV are they worth it?

I am on my second battery. I messed up the first one by using bat-aid. The thought of fire never crossed my mind. It just isn't a thing with ICE.
I think that says more about your mind, than the propulsion technology... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I think that says more about your mind, than the propulsion technology... :rolleyes:

I talked about that one before. I estimated a laptop battery catching fire because of the hot summer sun. I threw out my old laptop recently. Nothing wrong with it. Just don't like lithium.

What pees me off are people knocking every single aspect of EVs.

Mostly amplified by the press and recirculated many times.

Somebody's very scared, aren't they?

My fear was entirely amplified by youtube mobile phone fires. Bad chemistry.

Sponsored Links
350 kW seems tops currently.

According to this list - contrary to your assertion -most current EV's cannot charge at 100kW

That doesn't contradict me at all.

If you use a 100kW charger and your 50kWh battery can only charge at 50kW, then it still takes less than an hour to go from 10% to 80%.

There's something called the C rate. In practice most EV batteries can be charged at around 1C on average, so they can be filled in 1 hour. The C rate varies by the % fill, so in practice you can get 70% filled in 50% of the time with higher powered chargers, if the manufacturer fitted a higher powered adaptor. Like Tesla's or other non-budget EVs. For cheap EVs they don't try to go (much) above 1C.

Last edited:
EV sales crashing.

I love this from the video description...

image37.png

Did she literally say that, or are you paraphrasing? :unsure: :D

However you phrase it, it is crashing.

BEV sales share in September are up 17%, which is admittedly much lower than the year to date increase of 36%

In the US the EV sales have risen by 50% Year on year. (30% share increase).

If that's a crash then it'd be interesting to see what rapid growth would be.

I talked about that one before. I estimated a laptop battery catching fire because of the hot summer sun. I threw out my old laptop recently. Nothing wrong with it. Just don't like lithium.

You did indeed - and I thought it was just as ridiculous then! Sorry, but your desperation for it to be anything BUT an ICE fire, is laughable. It's the same model Landy that torched Luton airport, by the way. It doesn't get very sunny in a multi-story car park, so you'll have to think of a different BS excuse for that one! In fact, as ICE cars have been setting themselves on fire, quite regularly, since long before lithium batteries were invented, you've got quite a lot of excuses you need to dream up... :giggle:

Indeed. There are very powerful and very wealthy interests, associated with oil, and they really, really don't want EVs to take off! They have power and influence, and they learned how you can mess with gullible people's minds from Brexit and Trump's regime. Sadly, in our "post-truth society", people who don't like the truth can just make up their own, personal, "alternative truths"! All the powerful interests have to do, is plant the seed, and it spreads like wildfire around social media, because everyone likes to think that they're "in the know" and they're breaking some huge story that "the establishment" doesn't want the public to know about. 5g phones are a classic one.

And, of course, you can make the lies so much more appealing than the truth! If the truth, is that we need to reduce consumption, and emissions for the sake of the planet, that's not an easy sell. Against that kind of background, it's very easy to peddle a comforting lie - "the climate is fine", the oil will last forever", "smoking is actually good for you..."

And lastly, of course, there's just the perfectly understandable fear of the new. Douglas Adams summed it up very nicely indeed:

"Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
Anything that's invented between when you're fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things."

Last edited:

Yes, we're scared of being forced into owning the things. Scared of having to rely on undeveloped technology. Scared of being reliant on an electricity grid that won't cope and can be turned off instantly. See South Africa 'load shedding' for what happens when demand outstrips supply.

Yes, we're scared of being forced into owning the things. Scared of having to rely on undeveloped technology. Scared of being reliant on an electricity grid that won't cope and can be turned off instantly. See South Africa 'load shedding' for what happens when demand outstrips supply.

If the electricity grid gets "turned off instantly" (which by the way, there isn't much of a track record of), the petrol pumps won't work anyway... :rolleyes:

If the electricity grid gets "turned off instantly" (which by the way, there isn't much of a track record of), the petrol pumps won't work anyway... :rolleyes:

True. But my van has the potential to store enough diesel to travel almost 700 miles. Few jerry cans and it would be much further. I would have a much better chance of riding out any lengthy disruption to fuel or electricity stoppages than an EV owner who can't store anything like that sort of range.

Maybe I can offer you a lift when it all goes pear-shaped. (y)

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes, we're scared of being forced into owning the things. Scared of having to rely on undeveloped technology.
People took a leap of faith with petrol powered automobiles 120+ years ago.

Others were saying at the time "Who needs petroleum? What's wrong with the horse?"

Sponsored Links
Back