EV are they worth it?

True. But my van has the potential to store enough diesel to travel almost 700 miles. Few jerry cans and it would be much further. I would have a much better chance of riding out any lengthy disruption to fuel or electricity stoppages than an EV owner who can't store anything like that sort of range.

Maybe I can offer you a lift when it all goes pear-shaped. (y)
Maybe when your jerry cans are empty you can get a lift off the EV owner who has solar panels and generates their own electric.

Sponsored Links
True. But my van has the potential to store enough diesel to travel almost 700 miles. Few jerry cans and it would be much further. I would have a much better chance of riding out any lengthy disruption to fuel or electricity stoppages than an EV owner who can't store anything like that sort of range.

Maybe I can offer you a lift when it all goes pear-shaped. (y)

Ah, but... The EV owner with solar panels or a wind turbine, can make his own fuel, indefinitely...;)

And speaking of underdeveloped technology, Here's a petrol-electric parallel hybrid that can use its ICE engine either for charging the battery, driving the wheels, or both. It even has regenerative braking! So... how much longer were you thinking of waiting for the technology to mature?

20231005_155023s.jpg

I mean, 1896 is quite a while ago now...;)

If the electricity grid gets "turned off instantly" (which by the way, there isn't much of a track record of), the petrol pumps won't work anyway... :rolleyes:
The diesel generators will kick in automatically. A power cut would be like as if nothing happened.

Sponsored Links
Really? All petrol stations have diesel backup generators? :rolleyes:
Yes. The pumps consume very little power. A tiny generator would suffice. They also have UPS that's good for 15 minutes. The generator is fed by the station's diesel tank. On a full tank, the generator could run for 20 years.

Yes. The pumps consume very little power. A tiny generator would suffice. They also have UPS that's good for 15 minutes. The generator is fed by the station's diesel tank. On a full tank, the generator could run for 20 years.
They don't actually have those. Most petrol stations go dark if they lose grid power. If for no other reason than they also lose their payment connections.

Last edited:

You're just telling porkies again, aren't you?

They don't actually have those. Most petrol stations go dark if they lose grid power. If for no other reason than they also lose their payment connections.
Ridiculous. You are saying at the moment of power cut, those customers queuing up to pay will be told to go home and don't bother? There is also the issue of health and safety. Therefore, there must be sufficient power to keep the station going until the manager closes the station. That's where the 15 minute UPS comes in.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

People took a leap of faith with petrol powered automobiles 120+ years ago.

Others were saying at the time "Who needs petroleum? What's wrong with the horse?"
I disagree: Rich enthusiasts who were indulging a whim invested a bit of spare cash, and it slowly developed from there. Failure would have meant more time playing polo/taking cruises until a new craze developed

An extract from an American article about the period.

"By 1900, at least 100 different brands of horseless carriages were being marketed in the United States. Since they were all virtually handmade, the cars were outrageously expensive. Cars were perceived as no more than a high-priced toy for the rich. The early 1900s cars were, to many, a despicable symbol of arrogance and power. Nevertheless, the horseless carriage was finding buyers, hence a niche in the marketplace, and demand for this new toy was growing."

Last edited:
Ridiculous. You are saying at the moment of power cut, those customers queuing up to pay will be told to go home and don't bother? There is also the issue of health and safety. Therefore, there must be sufficient power to keep the station going until the manager closes the station. That's where the 15 minute UPS comes in.
What planet are you from ?

Every comment/thread you are on is full of ..........

People took a leap of faith with petrol powered automobiles 120+ years ago.
At least there was no coercion. How things have devolved into the law of jungle where unscrupulous merchants, via their bought government puppets, get to force feed EVs to people?

10. Fill your car with petrol
Many service stations can’t pump fuel during a power failure, so it’s a good idea to keep your vehicles fuel tank at least half full and to fill up if you know a power cut is coming.

It’s also useful to know how to manually open your garage door if you have an electric one, so you can get the car out if needed.

And that's to pump fuel. The payment infrastructure will also be down and that'll effectively close nearly all stations.

Sponsored Links
Back