EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
EV sales dropping like a rock.

Not here :)

1718969869184.png

Funny enough, I thought of you, yesterday, as I drove my EV to the Midlands for a meeting. At one point, I found myself behind a 2014 Vauxhall Ampera. I thought to myself; "Crikey mate! Respect! According to some folk on the internet, you must be on about your third battery and your second catastrophic fire by now"!:ROFLMAO:

And then I thought: "nah... it can't be! It's probably just an old ICE Cavalier with a private plate, and Ampera bodykit and a really well-hidden exhaust...."

And then I thought something which I'm sure the mods wouldn't appreciate me writing on here about you...

EV's are not selling like Avocet claims they are.

Ah... I remember him... Wasn't he the guy gobbing off about runaway EVs that you can't stop, when some bloke claimed his i-Pace just ran away with him on the M62?

The bloke was arrested shortly after...

You need to find yourself some more credible sources... :ROFLMAO:

Ah... I remember him... Wasn't he the guy gobbing off about runaway EVs that you can't stop, when some bloke claimed his i-Pace just ran away with him on the M62?

The bloke was arrested shortly after...

You need to find yourself some more credible sources... :ROFLMAO:
Plenty of credible run away teslas in this thread. Nothing unusual about run away EVs. For all we know the bloke might have been arrested for driving a dangerous car.

A runaway car is due to either poor design or poor maintenance, I know we always had three classes of brakes, service, secondary, and parking. In some vehicles, the secondary and parking were the same brake, other independent, automatic cars near always independent, manual near always combined.

So should something like a rock fly up and take out the foot brake, you have a second brake which can be gradually applied, in reality putting a spring brake on gradually is easier said than done, and the two sides needed to be balanced, but one could not claim one had a runaway.

I have looked at the hand brake on wife's Jag, and I must admit can't see how it can be applied gradually. But this is a design fault, nothing to do with being powered by petrol, diesel or electric.

Many years ago Vauxhall had a problem with ABS brakes, where the use of a radio near to them, could cause them to fail, and as a result for many years it said in the manual not to use a mobile phone unless an exterior was aerial fitted. It even said it in the Aglia hand book, and that model did not have ABS brakes. It seems it took some time to find the fault, an insurance company noted how many claims of brake failure there were with accidents involving police, ambulance, fire and taxi's all which have two-way radios. But testing the cars after, no faults found.

Tesla cars may have a fault with the braking system, but this is not really related to being electric powered.

Stories about runaway cars that cannot be stopped are just that - made up stories that only certain types believe.

All cars have a neutral position which disconnects the engine/motor from the wheels.
All cars have mechanical brakes.
All cars have a mechanical parking brake.

People roaring along roads at 100mph because they cant stop are either morons who don't know how to operate the vehicle, or are doing it deliberately for reasons only they know..

Plenty of credible run away teslas in this thread. Nothing unusual about run away EVs. For all we know the bloke might have been arrested for driving a dangerous car.

Really? And how many of those are because they're EVs, compared to how many are because Musk's autopilot system is being called into question?

As far as I'm aware, the taxi drive has tried to sue Tesla over the incident, but I can't find any saying whether he was successful or not. Perhaps you can? If so, post it up.

A runaway car is due to either poor design or poor maintenance, I know we always had three classes of brakes, service, secondary, and parking. In some vehicles, the secondary and parking were the same brake, other independent, automatic cars near always independent, manual near always combined.

And of course, driver error! Normally, in a modern car, the "secondary" brake is the other half of a dual circuit braking system. So for example, if it's a diagonally split system, the "service" brake is the braking system with both circuits working, and the "secondary" brake is whichever half of the dual circuit system hasn't failed (for example, left front and right rear).

So should something like a rock fly up and take out the foot brake, you have a second brake which can be gradually applied, in reality putting a spring brake on gradually is easier said than done, and the two sides needed to be balanced, but one could not claim one had a runaway.

I have looked at the hand brake on wife's Jag, and I must admit can't see how it can be applied gradually. But this is a design fault, nothing to do with being powered by petrol, diesel or electric.

It's true, electric parking brakes can't be applied progressively. But it's important to remember that the parking brake isn't the "secondary" brake (see above). If you pull the switch while moving, it will just ignore you and beep at you. If, however, you pull and hold the switch, it will just apply the parking brake. That would normally spin the car, but generally the Electronic Stability Control system sorts that out. I've tried this during testing (on a test track) and one car has given me something of a "brown trouser moment" when I held the electric parking brake switch at about 50 MPH, but even that one didn't spin. It just went a bit sideways.

Many years ago Vauxhall had a problem with ABS brakes, where the use of a radio near to them, could cause them to fail, and as a result for many years it said in the manual not to use a mobile phone unless an exterior was aerial fitted. It even said it in the Aglia hand book, and that model did not have ABS brakes. It seems it took some time to find the fault, an insurance company noted how many claims of brake failure there were with accidents involving police, ambulance, fire and taxi's all which have two-way radios. But testing the cars after, no faults found.

Both the radios and the cars should have complied with the "Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive at the time:

Or, as an alternative, United Nations ECE Reg 10.

I hadn't heard anything about Agilas malfunctioning in the presence of RF, but they did have a reputation for dodgy ABS pumps at one time?

Tesla cars may have a fault with the braking system, but this is not really related to being electric powered.

And that, of course, is the crux of it. (No matter how much Nutjob might wish it to be otherwise)!

Sponsored Links
Back