EV are they worth it?

Stories about runaway cars that cannot be stopped are just that - made up stories that only certain types believe.

All cars have a neutral position which disconnects the engine/motor from the wheels.
All cars have mechanical brakes.
All cars have a mechanical parking brake.

People roaring along roads at 100mph because they cant stop are either morons who don't know how to operate the vehicle, or are doing it deliberately for reasons only they know..

I agree. The vast majority o the time, it is human error. However, as Ericmark says, there might be an "autopilot" fault, that that would be an autopilot fault, rather than an EV fault.

Sponsored Links
Here's the reason Avocet is checking the autotrader for a nice ice to upgrade to.

Oh that's come at quite a bad time for you! Just this morning, I got a nice surprise...

1719395683558.png

No. Avocet has no intention of getting rid of his EV, thanks all the same. How are your petrol and diesel prices these days? I lose track, you see... ;)

Sponsored Links
Love all the doom mongering about EV's pick any extreme then say its the norm.

I own a leaf... been brilliant for the job it is intended to do run round a city doing the commute, shopping, kids taxi. Even though its now 8 years old still does 120 mile on a charge and that's basically a weeks travel.

Granted for longer journeys our Audi S4 Avant gets its wheels dirty but 90% of all our journeys are under 20 miles... which is what ev's are designed to do and what constitutes nearly 70% of all journeys in the uk.

What muppet would buy a car with a range of 150 miles and then think that the can do a touring holiday of Scotland....

Love all the doom mongering about EV's pick any extreme then say its the norm.

I own a leaf... been brilliant for the job it is intended to do run round a city doing the commute, shopping, kids taxi. Even though its now 8 years old still does 120 mile on a charge and that's basically a weeks travel.

Granted for longer journeys our Audi S4 Avant gets its wheels dirty but 90% of all our journeys are under 20 miles... which is what ev's are designed to do and what constitutes nearly 70% of all journeys in the uk.

What muppet would buy a car with a range of 150 miles and then think that the can do a touring holiday of Scotland....

Indeed. And to be honest, I do 20,000 miles a year in an EV, and you don't rack that sort of mileage up, just popping down to the supermarket once a week!

What cracks me up, is that many of the most strongly anti-EV folk on here would get all misty-eyed and patriotic at the very mention of Rolls Royce. They'd probably even stand up and salute at the mere mention of the company's name, and start waxing lyrical about "real" engineering, and how Britain led the automotive world back then (probably to some suitably stirring background music by Elgar)...and Merlin engines, and Spitfires, and...

And it's true, of course. The man was a visionary engineer. Back in 1902 he started his own company making small electrical appliances and quickly moved on to heavier equipment, supplying motors to Pritchett and Gold, a battery maker who had expanded into making electric cars...

The other half of the duo, Charles Rolls, was also wise to the benefits of an electric powertrain. Indeed, he had an EV himself - the Columbia Electric Carriage, way back in 1898 and pronounced it one of the best cars on the market at the time. In fact, in April 1900, he told the Motor Car Journal:

“The electric car is perfectly noiseless and clean. There is no smell or vibration, and they should become very useful when fixed charging stations can be arranged. But for now, I do not anticipate that they will be very serviceable – at least for many years to come.” So for both men, the ICE was really the "second choice" of powertrain...

And here we are, nearly 125 years later and it's all coming true... I wonder what our resident Luddites would make of that pair today, if they had DIYnot accounts? I can think of at least one, who would dismiss them as "industry know-nothings"...;)

Maybe if governments forced people out of their ICEs over 100 years ago RR would have stuck with battery stuff. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Quite recently the government of the day was pushing diesels as the way forward, now they've gone into reverse on diesels and forcing battery cars on us. I'll do the opposite of what these clowns are suggesting with their dubious motives and flawed pie in the sky nonsense. You couldn't make this stuff up! :rolleyes:

And some people obey their every command like good boys. :giggle:

Maybe if governments forced people out of their ICEs over 100 years ago RR would have stuck with battery stuff. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Quite recently the government of the day was pushing diesels as the way forward, now they've gone into reverse on diesels and forcing battery cars on us. I'll do the opposite of what these clowns are suggesting with their dubious motives and flawed pie in the sky nonsense. You couldn't make this stuff up! :rolleyes:

And some people obey their every command like good boys. :giggle:

Well, at least thank you for being honest! This was never about the technology, or the safety, or the African "slave" children, was it? This is just straightforward, pouty, sulky, stampy-footed libertairians throwing a wee tantrum because Mummy told them they couldn't play with their ICE toys any more! :ROFLMAO:

Yes, a couple of decades ago, the government started pushing diesels. Why? Because they were better on CO2 than petrol. Simple as that. The question is... why didn't you have the same tantrums back then? Why was it OK to do the things the government told you to do back then but not now?

So guess what? We didn't have EVs a couple of decades ago. EVs are now better again on CO2 than diesels, so, yeah, it's time to move on again. What's the problem? Do you still insist on being treated for your ailments with leeches, or are you happy to receive better, more modern treatments as they have become available?

Why? Because they were better on CO2 than petrol. Simple as that. The question is... why didn't you have the same tantrums back then? Why was it OK to do the things the government told you to do back then but not now?

You have a vivid imagination - thinking that I followed what the government was telling us to do. I now own a diesel because that's what suits me. Not because I'm a tree-hugging follower who believes that paying through the nose for a flawed battery vehicle is somehow a good idea.

I actually feel sorry for followers who have laid out stependous amounts of money for cars that sound like milk floats and depreciate quicker than a Maxwell pension fund. Same as the poor desperates driving a Prius. Sheeple.

You have a vivid imagination - thinking that I followed what the government was telling us to do. I now own a diesel because that's what suits me. Not because I'm a tree-hugging follower who believes that paying through the nose for a flawed battery vehicle is somehow a good idea.

I actually feel sorry for followers who have laid out stependous amounts of money for cars that sound like milk floats and depreciate quicker than a Maxwell pension fund. Same as the poor desperates driving a Prius. Sheeple.

I can see you're nobody's fool... ;)

Listen, don't feel too sorry for me. My electricity tariff just went down for the second time in a row today! I can now waste diesels away from the lights for less than 2p a mile...:)

Sponsored Links
Back