EV are they worth it?

I can now waste diesels away from the lights for less than 2p a mile...:)
You should refrain from this kind of behavior. Racing at the lights is irresponsible and introduces danger to motorists around you. When taking off, always accelerate at a steady pace in a predictable manner so that others can anticipate what you are doing. Racing on the roads will attract fine, points, and will invalidate your insurance.

Sponsored Links
You should refrain from this kind of behavior. Racing at the lights is irresponsible and introduces danger to motorists around you. When taking off, always accelerate at a steady pace in a predictable manner so that others can anticipate what you are doing. Racing on the roads will attract fine, points, and will invalidate your insurance.

And you, should invest in a good dictionary and look up the difference between "can " and "do"... ;) You really didn't think I saw that response coming when I made that post? Really? :ROFLMAO:

Tortoise and hare. He might be away quicker, but if he makes the mistake of using too much power while also using his AC and having his radio pumping out the sounds - we'll catch him up when he stops at a broken charger to top up the juice. :ROFLMAO:

Pint of semi and a strawberry yogurt please, Avo! (y)

Tortoise and hare. He might be away quicker, but if he makes the mistake of using too much power while also using his AC and having his radio pumping out the sounds - we'll catch him up when he stops at a broken charger to top up the juice. :ROFLMAO:

Pint of semi and a strawberry yogurt please, Avo! (y)

Tell us you've no actual experience of EVs, without actually saying it... ;)

Sponsored Links
Can you tell?

Oh, I just get the odd vague inkling in some of your posts... :D

Only anecdotal. My fear of over complexity coupled with realisation how ridiculously overpriced they are prevents any irrational desires I may have for an EV. ;)

As Brigadier says, actually quite a bit simpler than current ICEs. People are just scared of stuff they don't understand. That's been the case ever since we made the change from horses to ICEs. With technology in general, it's been the case for many hundreds of years. Folk who didn't understand, would sometimes burn people as witches. That's pretty much where we are with EVs right now, but with the added complication that some incredibly wealthy companies, with a good hold over the media, understand that they're going to lose a ****-load of revenue, and they don't like it, so they're throwing massive resource into every possible scare story they can think of, to put off the more gullible elements of the population.

20 years from now, I think we'll probably look back and wonder what all the fuss was.

Pray tell, how many components in an EV, and how many in an ICE? (y)

Just a couple of examples. Could I just jump in any EV and drive it 500 miles without having a smart phone, apps, credit cards, sat nav to find suitable charge points that actually work etc, etc - no. Could an EV be repaired by a home mechanic - no. Could an EV be repaired by any garage - no. Can a badly damaged EV be repaired by any body shop - no. Can an EV be repaired with minor chassis/floor pan damage - often not. Can you get an EV without complex touch screen and thousands of unnecessary functions - no.

An over complex ball ache.

Just a couple of examples. Could I just jump in any EV and drive it 500 miles without having

And presumably, this would, of course, be 500 miles non-stop, 'cause everyone does that... right...? ;)

a smart phone,

Yes, you don't NEED a smart phone to drive an EV, but if you DO have a smart phone, it can get your EV to do lots of things that an ICE can't do at all - (like warming it up and de-icing it in time for departure on a cold day, or cooling it down on a hot day). However, for that authentic ICE experience, you can just forget the smart phone, if you really like scraping ice or burning your butt on a hot car seat.

Yes, you don't *need* apps. You can do a 500 mile trip without apps, but if you DO have apps, it sometimes gets you a bit of a discount on the charging costs, and it lets you use more of the small, really slow chargers, should you wish. All the powerful route chargers, however, will take contactless these days. (They have to, by law).

credit cards,

Is that something that happens to you a lot, then? You suddenly have to make a 500 mile trip and there's some reason why you don't want to take a means of paying for thing with you?;) Well, OK, you don't need a *credit" card, but you would, at least need a debit card. But then, you'd need one of those to fill your ICE vehicle with fuel before your 500 mile trip too, so you could always use that one, I guess? Or are you one of these people who still carries a purse of cash round and pays or everything in cash? :rolleyes: (In which case, I guess that rules out any unattended petrol stations too...)

sat nav to find suitable charge points that actually work etc, etc

You don't need a sat nav, really. You'll find the charging points at all the service stations now. However, if your 500 mile trip takes you off the beaten track, you might find it useful to find some of the more out-of-the-way ones (but then, sat navs can also help you find out-of-the-way petrol stations too...)

Could an EV be repaired by a home mechanic - no.

Depending on what was wrong with it, yes, why not? Of course, there's a lot less TO go wrong with one - no cam belt, no glow plugs, no injectors, no exhaust, no fuel pump, no alternator, no clutch, no oil filter, no spark plugs, no air filter, no fuel filter, no cat, no DPF, no AdBlue....

... but they do still have brake fluid and screenwash! They also have suspension and steering joints, wheel bearings, tyres, brake pads... (Not that you'd have to do brake pads very often...)

Of course, there aren't any jobs on an ICE that a home mechanic couldn't do, are there...?;)

Could an EV be repaired by any garage - no.

That really depends on whether the garages want to upskill and learn how to do it, or whether they just chuck the towel in because it's "too complicated". A few will survive, doing "classic" ICES, I guess. The advent of fuel injection caused a lot of elderly proprietors to just give up because they couldn't handle cars without carburetors. After that, it was on-board diagnostics. Ever since the motor car was invented, there have been those who have kept pace with the changes and survived, and there have been those who have fallen behind and gone out of business.

Can a badly damaged EV be repaired by any body shop - no.

Nor can they repair a badly damaged ICE. That's what Cat A and B write-offs are...:rolleyes:

Can an EV be repaired with minor chassis/floor pan damage - often not.

Sometimes not. There are plenty that (through ignorance and fear) get written off when they shouldn't be, because bodyshops lack the necessary skills, and there is one particular brand that tries to make their cars in a way that is difficult to repair, but by and large, yes, they can do it.

Can you get an EV without complex touch screen and thousands of unnecessary functions - no.

Hard to get an ICE without a touchscreen these days! That's got nothing to do with whether it's an EV or not. As for the unnecessary functions, just don't use them if you don't want to.

An over complex ball ache.

To some, maybe.

As Douglas Adams famously said:

1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.

2. Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.

3. Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

And presumably, this would, of course, be 500 miles non-stop, 'cause everyone does that... right...? ;)

I have done similar mileages in an 8 hour day with only a non essential stop. Not about wether you would do it, but good to have the flexibility if you want or need.

Could poss squeeze 650ish miles out of my ancient backwards luddite oil burner with zero range stress and no stopping. Won't ever be possible with EV. They will have been supersceded by something far more practical and user friendly before this happens. ;)(y)

I have done similar mileages in an 8 hour day with only a non essential stop. Not about wether you would do it, but good to have the flexibility if you want or need.

Could poss squeeze 650ish miles out of my ancient backwards luddite oil burner with zero range stress and no stopping. Won't ever be possible with EV. They will have been supersceded by something far more practical and user friendly before this happens. ;)(y)

That you have to pick an extreme (verging on ridiculous) example just shoes that you're pizzing in the wind.

In almost 40yrs of driving, I've done two 600 mile days. Both of which were when I was much younger, and both had stops.

Just face the reality that an EV would be better for 99% of drivers, 100% of the time, and better even for deliberately-awkward such as yourself, for 95% of your motoring.

And you can still go "back in time" if you insist on being a self-flagellating curmudgeon ;)

There's a reason why HGV drivers have to use tachographs! Frankly, I'm not wild about the idea of sharing the road with some muppet who has done 500 miles without a break, so what you regard as a downside, I regard as an absolute bonus!

Frankly, I'm not wild about the idea of sharing the road with some muppet who has done 500 miles without a break, so what you regard as a downside, I regard as an absolute bonus!

Talk about double standards!!! We've come over all holier than thou now! Frankly I'm not wild about the idea of sharing the road with some muppet who -

can now waste diesels away from the lights for less than 2p a mile...:)

I await your bs reply to justify this. Go on, don't disappoint?? Do your best! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Speed kills! :idea:

Sponsored Links
Back