Should multinationals and multibillionaires pay fair tax?

Yes, of course I did.

In other news, it has been announced that there will be some tax rises.

Sponsored Links
"The highest rate of CGT is 28 per cent now, far lower than the 45 per cent top rate of income tax."

Well that's interesting.
If yiu check I think you will find that the US treat CGT as income. Some one on here thought they didn't have any tax on it. I looked and found they did.

So why add it to the thread ?

You will be shocked to learn that multibillionaires, and even plain old millionaires, commonly make more money by capital gains than by taxable income.

Should a person pulling in £200,000 a year pay a lower rate of tax than a person pulling in £100,000 a year?

I think not.

Sponsored Links
You will be shocked to learn that multibillionaires, and even plain old millionaires, commonly make more money by capital gains than by taxable income.

Should a person pulling in £200,000 a year pay a lower rate of tax than a person pulling in £100,000 a year?

I think not.

The UK tax system is far too complicated.

Income is income, so it should all be added up and taxed as income.

Also in the case of Limited companies, income for directors should be the same AND NI should be calculated as if it’s income from salary or dividends

And I would levy NI for everybody with pension incomes totalling £20K at 5% over the £20K

Legally or illegally? If illegal, they should be nicked. If legal, they should be applauded and whoever makes (or fails to close) those loopholes should be held responsible. I mean, are you saying you don't take advantage of any legal means to avoid paying tax? Of course you do. Just not as big a saving as those with more money than you which is your real gripe.

Gordon Brown
Truss the calamitous catastrophook managed to do serious harm to the economy, and she was only around for 44 days, before they dragged her out of no 10. Muppet does not do the Tory idiot justice.

Need I mention Boris and his fellow Brexiteers? It's never any wonder they are all extinct or gone into hiding.

Gordon Brown, lol. Blinkered Tory morons, eh. :rolleyes:

Truss the calamitous catastrophook managed to do serious harm to the economy, and she was only around for 44 days, before they dragged her out of no 10. Muppet does not do the Tory idiot justice.

Need I mention Boris and his fellow Brexiteers? It's never any wonder they are all extinct or gone into hiding.

Morning Nosey. Another sleepless night? :ROFLMAO:

Read my post AGAIN.

I simply pointed out that Gordon Brown vastly complicated the UK tax system which means the loopholes are multiplied

Google it if you don’t believe me

Brown cut a lot of taxes with career progression in mind, before the penny dropped that people just didn't like him. He also waited far too long to stick the knife in bliar. Just simplify taxation, and increase income tax across the board, why should people who have worked all their life at historically higher basic rates of income tax, be hammered with iht increases?

As for tax avoidance Starmy wouldn't dream of upsetting the super rich.

I simply pointed out that Gordon Brown vastly complicated the UK tax system which means the loopholes are multiplied
Or trying to plug them
According to the OECD, UK taxation increased from a 39.3% share of gross domestic product in 1997 to 42.4% in 2006, going to a higher level than that of Germany.
That with tax cuts. The removal of the 10p rate got some criticism but working tax credits appeared as well. That is the point where I thought good grief a mechanism needed as some people don't earn enough. We still have a problem paying them sufficient to be self supporting. I had to face up to that. Why - resultant inflation. A hamburger would become an expensive delicacy that few could buy.

Much of what Brown did is still with us. Odd isn't it. Surely Tory would rip the lot to shreds. His biggest problem was the GFC. Ideas like sub prime mortgages. Those that can afford a mortgage have one so give them to those that can't along with complications that didn't work out. True that's a simple view but banks finish up with insufficient assets. QE is still having it's effects.

Tax avoidance - corporate an eg. Some use low tax areas other than the one mentioned. They can shift losses about as well.
In 2017, the European Commission found that a 2003 tax arrangement between Luxembourg and Amazon, extended in 2011, unjustifiably reduced Amazon's tax bill. This allowed Amazon to avoid taxes on nearly three quarters of its profits by shifting them from taxed Amazon EU to untaxed Amazon Europe Holding Technologies.14 Dec 2023
Another form. There are gov related web pages on this style listing the companies that offer similar. You work for an agency. They get the income and charge a fee. They prepare a tax statement for a lower amount. The rest is passed on separately. One does that via a loan that should be repaid but never is.

Starmer's view - we need more tax inspectors. That has the same problem a benefit cheaters. You put more money in to allow more checks but that has to be covered by the gains. Benefits have always been handled this way. Tax - I suspect Starmer is correct and benefit cheater detection has improved of late.

Sponsored Links
Back