There goes a lot of your winter fuel payments

Sponsored Links
Strange

Strange as a mate of mine never claimed his for 2 and half years thinking it would build up for when he did claim it and when his accountant asked him why he wasnt claiming it .
told him nope you have to inform them you are deferring it and was only allowed to claim around 6 months of it back this was at beginning of this year
Well he should question that. I can absolutely guarantee that’s what happened to the bloke I know. That post of mine that I quoted was made over 3 years ago and he hadn’t ever claimed since reaching pension age about 8 years before that - I don’t know if things have changed since then.

I may have found the answer. I think the rules differ depending on whether you reached state pension age before April 2016. So that would be true for Mottie's and denso's friends. This information is not very clear on the website, so I hope I have got it right.

So the chap above gets about £12K in state pension and pays about £4800 income tax on it
So he tas a taxable income above £50k

if he obtainedan extra £12k in income from any other source, do you think he shouldn't pay tax?

I know someone at work who is doing the same thing but he is 78. He doesn't want to take it as he'll have a big tax bill but it just grows every year.

but the tax bill will be less than he receives. So it's not putting him out of pocket

Sponsored Links
This information is not very clear on the website, so I hope I have got it right.
I think it is something to do with the meaning of backdating and deferring. Seems you can do one or the other but they have different rules for pay-out.

"If you start your claim up to 12 months after you reach State Pension Age, you can ask that the claim is backdated to when your entitlement started. If you start your claim over 12 months after you reach State Pension Age, you will be treated as having deferred your pension. You can still choose to have it backdated but this would mean missing out on the increases you get from deferring your pension. If this applies to you, get advice before deciding whether to request backdating. "

I think it is something to do with the meaning of backdating and deferring. Seems you can do one or the other but they have different rules for pay-out.

Here is something a bit clearer. It looks like after 6 April 2016 you can claim a maximum 12 months "backdate" but not a lump sum.

If you reached state pension age on or after 6 April 2016 and decided to defer claiming, any built up entitlement to state pension is paid to you as extra state pension – so your regular payment will be increased. You do not have the option to receive a lump sum.

The language of a blinkered blue.

For a pragmatist though,

"The policies of not handing even more taxpayer money to those who have no need for it" (y)

The language of the rabid left.

How much extra tax are you willing to pay ?

Some interesting posts. For many the state pension just arrives when a person reaches the state pension age. No effort at all. It just happens.

If some other pension is available or I assume income the state pension comes off the tax allowance.

If a self employed people can retire when ever they like. Income depending on what they put into a scheme. If they F up who's fault is that but support could still be available.

Some one who isn't self employed can also fund a separate pension. Most of these are still on occupational schemes that are likely to have an index link and in some cases not 60% of final salary as a company might decide to give them a pay rise just before they retire. ;) Lucky few but this can go on. Also recent years retire early at 55 deals to shed people. Penalties reduced.
Then comes people on a private scheme. Numbers should increase over time.

Actually, I’ve never had it and even though I will lose out, I agree with it! If I take my mother, my mother in law and almost everyone that I know that are of state pension age - none of those people actually 'need' it! It should go to those that really do need it so it's only fair for it go to those that are on pension credit.
And yet you took furlough payments for work you weren't going to do and boasted that it was 'holiday money'...

Are you saying now that taking money from the public purse should only be based on need?

5 years ago when i retired with a state and railway pension totalling around 12k i paid no tax [well above benefits pension credits help level ] now about 2k over the personal tax level i now loose 20% off my annual increase so around £400 a year i will now loose a further £300 normal winter fuel allowance [rather than the 500 putin level so call it £2 a day am i annoyed and angry off course i am ----- because there are people in abject poverty including hard working people and i would rather i was £50 a week worse off rather than just £15to help the poorest

Sponsored Links
Back