This is the sort of pledge that might get my vote.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I disagree, short term improvements to productivity tend to cause upticks in unemployment. What is important is people who can work, being in work. it impacts crime, tax, innovation, public spending etc. Labour shortages tend to drive productivity improvements.

When I was that age, there simply was no other option or expectation, than to get a job and WORK, for my living.

It's still like that in some more enlightened EU countries, mainly east/central Europe. Want to work, fine you do a job to your ability and you get a flat for you and your family with heating and hot water included. No rates, just pay for leccy which is a lot lower than UK prices (surprise, surprise - people like Czech and Poles still mine lots of coal which they burn to keep them selves in affordable utilities and district heating).

However, if you want to adopt an 'alternative' lifestyle that makes you unemployable (as is common in UK), then pick any shop doorway that's vacant.

Not a surprise that most choose first option. Can get a bit chilly out there on those streets in winter.

Last edited:
improvements to productivity tend to cause upticks in unemployment.
True but one important aspect of growth is GDP per capita which in real terms is productivity. Productivity increase will generally result in less jobs so the output needs to grow to maintain them. That can relate to manufacture and services. Some such as ie the increasing use of self service tills in supermarkets are a bit different. With those initial usage was low but it's increasing. When till people numbers are reduced GDP per capita increases but sales volumes needn't.

In some cases people need to find some other method of earning a living as their previous one is defunct. The car industry over a number of years is a good example of that.

Under Thatcher, it was a time of great change in the work place, some unemployment was unavoidable. Very different to now, where we have a shortfall in workers.

Never fear, they're on their way. Zooming across The Channel as fast as their oars can carry them. The future doctors, dentists, vets, architects, nurses (all male), etc, etc and Amazon drivers. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

deliveroo-rider-in-london-paddles-across-thames-in-rowing-boat.jpg

When I left school my first apprenticeship was to follow my fathers trade (in fact I had offers on the same day and was persuaded to take the one with company supplied transport- bad move); that lasted 5 months before I was moved on (I/we really were cheap labour - outside in all weathers knocking old frames to pieces), moved on 'cause I embarrassed the workshop Forman; Next apprenticeship was as a 'Banksman' - I did learn somethings there, how to drive a Forklift truck and a Travelling Crane (still have the certificate somewhere). Then I moved on to the GPO.

A 3 year apprenticeship - moving from job role to job role seeing all aspects of the business for the first 2 years then 9 to 12 months on the job training for the job we did in the business. I stopped in that role for some 20 years before moving sideway as well as progressing through the ranks.

I'd say - a structure like that is what a 'proper' apprenticeship is.

About 23 years ago in my then job I was asked (given) an apprentice to mentor - a 'Modern' apprentice...
Was I impressed? no, not really. The lad had 6 to 9 months to complete his apprenticeship and 2 years to complete college. I was expected to mentor him through one role only supplying the absolute minimal background info to what would be the final job. At periods he really hated me 'cause part of my job was to be out of the office and away from playing with computers (the primary practical training course) - I take him out with me, where I'd made prior arrangements for him to see other parts of the business including how they fitted into the company as a whole, but telling him he had to produce a report on return to the office.

To me that was not a proper apprenticeship, even with the addition of the extra stuff I put in to the person I was mentoring.

In the 2010's working for a different division the company then had batches of apprentices on 2 year courses including college. this time a period spent with every job role. That I was pleased with, especially as I had chance to supply an integrated 'look' at the role the group I worked in played in the business. I was the apprentice 'lead' in our group reporting back to HR.
Much better, and seeing their presence on 'LinkedIn' I see that 6 out of the 8 have pretty good jobs nowadays.

The Modern apprenticeship scheme of the 2000's was not very good for a skilled role, to me it just seemed like a 'Fast Track' method of getting 'youths' into (semi-skilled) work. I'd hate to see a resumption of that scheme pushed by the next government (no matter which colour).

When my father was working there was a push to get him to take on an apprentice, something he didn't have the time or structure for. A neighbour in the same business did take one on for 4 years at the end of which when the neighbour thought he was going to get some of his investment back the apprentice upped and left taking with him several clients.

If the government want's to see more 'proper' apprentices and apprenticeships then they need to plan it out properly including financially (a wages and training cost financial input for at least 2 years). Most small (<30 employees) cannot really afford todays non-productive costs of an apprentice.

Talking of the new breed of Amazon drivers, anyone notice they seem to be competeing with each other in some sort of motoring bingo or something? Saw a corker earlier when I was out. Amazon van out doing deliveries, and no lie but every single panel bar the bonnet was stoved in. Not just little knocks, but badly rippled. Even the roof. So just the bonnet to go and he's won van bingo this month. Best bit was, the thing was only about 12 months old. No idea of body shop labour and material rates, but some of these newish vans must be borderline whether it's a viable repair. Hell of a lot of labour needed

Still, buy cheap, get cheap. :giggle:

Last edited:
But, the daft part was that fatties were still ordering, for home delivery.
At £12 per mile (staff from other Maccies were doing some of the runs).

12 quid per mile? Is that the normal cost for McDelivery or Just Eat, etc? Or is that what McDs were paying to their employees on this occasion, desperate to fulfill orders?

Sponsored Links
Back