This is the sort of pledge that might get my vote.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If they can be sheen to
Polish up the mess then I'll duster f to believe in them!

Nice try, but it does not answer the question of how it was counted.

There's a basic discussion here of different ways and how it has changed over the years.

1709585630812.png

I'd be interested to see a breakdown of what benefits people were on and why, if it was available - some of the people in Notchy's list may reasonably be unable to perform a function that benefits society and others indeed you may want to pay them to be idle to reduce some detrimental effect they'd have - but for other people on the list there is perhaps some role they could play and in those cases, would it make sense to say "you do this in return for your benefit payments" - in essence if no one else can or will employ you, the government will - person X is able to scrape up chewing gum, here's a scraper..

If there were a big pie chart of "what benefit and why are they on it" you could say "well that percentage of the pie could reasonably actually do something useful" - it can't possibly be that the whole pie is unemployable, and I also suspect that when people pitchfork about benefit scroungers they're actually talking about the same slices of the pie - it'd be a cruel person who looks at an individual stricken with a serious long term medical condition and says "well they're a sponger, cut off their benefits".. Much more likely that comment is levelled at a job seeker who deliberately fails every interview to keep claiming their JSA, a woman who keeps having children paid for by the state etc, those who appear under sensationalist tabloid headlines

No shortage of documentaries out there to give a depiction of life on benefits and I'm not offering any pretence it's an easy ride - but habits are contagious and kids born into those kind of perpetual benefits and low level existence situations aren't going to have much opportunity to realise there is something else out there and have an equal chance at achieving it. You can take the kid out of the estate, but can you take the estate out of the kid? And does that routinely succeed? How does one develop enough of a sense of personal pride and respect in someone, beset all around by the effects of a lack of it, to get them to take seriously the prospect of leaving that life behind and striving for something more?

and I also suspect that when people pitchfork about benefit scroungers they're actually talking about the same slices of the pie
people fed a diet of the Daily Mail, stereotype everybody on benefits as “scroungers”

Sponsored Links
Back