To all those that welcome/encourage the small boat migrants.

No chance, I don't know how you worked that out.
For me it goes to reason - make something that is desirable more easily to obtain and the demand will go up.

But you are mixing migrants and the boat people.
Not really - the ones that arrive by aeroplane with some sort of visa - do not arrive with a house, connected to the usual services, nor do they arrive with a hospital bed, or a piece of road

I'm not 100% against inward migration - we need it at the moment, we have become too fat and too lazy to look after ourselves, but more and more people is not a long term sustainable solution - and do remember the ones that are arriving and no doubt working hard for a few years, will no doubt take a lead from our laziness, then we will need more migrants to look after the migrants

Sponsored Links
Which they aren't doing.
I think it is too early to tell, the measures to make it easier are still being conceived let alone put in place. whatever happens will take many months before we see change, wether that change is for the good or the bad.

But your theory is, making inward migration and becoming a UK citizen easier and quicker will not increase demand!
you could be right but I doubt it. - time will tell

Sponsored Links
But your theory is, making inward migration and becoming a UK citizen easier and quicker will not increase demand!
No, how are they making it easier and quicker? You mean by not housing them at the taxpayers expense for years to come?

For me it goes to reason - make something that is desirable more easily to obtain and the demand will go up.

Not really - the ones that arrive by aeroplane with some sort of visa - do not arrive with a house, connected to the usual services, nor do they arrive with a hospital bed, or a piece of road

I'm not 100% against inward migration - we need it at the moment, we have become too fat and too lazy to look after ourselves, but more and more people is not a long term sustainable solution - and do remember the ones that are arriving and no doubt working hard for a few years, will no doubt take a lead from our laziness, then we will need more migrants to look after the migrants
I'm not arguing for more numbers.

I'm simply stating that with a system we get control. Without a system we have what we had with the Tories.

I prefer the idea of a controlled system.

The idiocy of the previous policy was discussed at the time and it was never going to work.

Just like so many Tory policies it was punting the problem to let someone else deal with it. Now labour have to deal with it.

They could waste years on clearly doomed court cases or they could stop wasting time continuing a policy they voted against and get on with sorting out the Tory mess.

Imagine what would happen if we decided Asylum cases in six months on average instead of between 1 and 3 years? We'd save a fortune on accomodation and start taxing them.

I caught a bit of Nigel F's speech in the HoC made yesterday. I've not fact checked it, however he asserted that even under Labour years ago, the UK was much more efficient at 'sending people back' and quickly if they didn't meet the requirements to remain. He further asserted David Blunkett was quite strong on this.

If the above is true, there has been an obvious shift away from this. Nigel blames the ECHR, not sure if that's accurate or just Nigel being Nigel.

UK was much more efficient at 'sending people back' and quickly if they didn't meet the requirements to remain. He further asserted David Blunkett was quite strong on this.
Correct. There are graphs around that show the effects and subsequent changes.

Rwanda? Why wait for post the election before sending any? How many can they take? Ok so we see nice videos of a style of hostels for them but how many have they built? Number of flights needed? Long term support when they get there? Sensitive refugee cases - now what does that mean? The Supreme Court ruled out the first flight. I assume based in international law. Sunak election ranting - I'll drop out of any court that prevents the places use. Did they seek legal advice when the drafted the initial legislation? Rwanda's democracy has a rather poor rating. They are involved in fighting in nearby countries

When asked how many Rwanda expect the reply was a few hundred.

If they intended to do it they should have sorted the legal aspects. ECHR - well they are involved in a number of areas that have nothing to do with refugees. It relates to all citizens of it's member states not refugees only.

I do expect Labour to get some stick concerning boat people but the major problem is in some ways the backlog. The Tory idea of putting a stick in the ground and working on processing without including newer arrivals is a joke.

Sponsored Links
Back