We might be getting imperial measurements back.

It's a bit different for wood. In most cases "3 x 2in" should actually be written "ex-3 x 2in" which indicates the sawn sizefrom which material is machined, not the finish size (it will finish at about 70 x 44mma in metric), and there is also the fact that if you specified "3 x 2in exact size" then you would get exactly 3 x 2in material. Generally not too important on carcassing, but imperative that you get the exact size when doing jobs like structural beam end repairs and replacements.

I admit that all this stuff can trip up people outside of the trade - for those of us on the inside we just live with it

Try buying hardwoods….they are through and through cut to 1” 1 1/4” 1 1/2” 2” 3” 4”

and generally cut to lengths somewhere around 1 foot increments.

widths are actually random, but traditionally rounded to the nearest 1” for costing purposes, so a board 7 3/8” wide would be charged at 7” and a board 7 3/4” would be charged at 8” (although there is no convention)

Traditionally sawn softwood can be pretty close to nominal size, so sawn 2” x 1” batten usually is 50mm x 25mm

annoyingly there’s no convention on regularised studwork, 4” x 2” can be 44mm thick, 45mm thick, 47mm thick …..hence why joist hangers are made in a range of sizes.

Ive no idea what CLS is

Sponsored Links
Complete non event as 90% off the poulation as in the working or under 50s will only have imperial as an inconvenient outdated system
as we have found in the past, nostalgia stunts improvement in people and the economy
the only possible up side is to very old saying sound better "mines a pint" or "give him a yard he will take a mile " and that would improve conversation between the dinosaurs the young who need a translation :LOL:

I definitely think in Centigrade these days not Fahrenheit.

I weigh out stuff for cooking in grams

I measure in mms

I still think in miles
and I use Psi for tyre pressure.

Ive no idea what CLS is
Canadian Lumber Standard. Introduced so that timber would be supplied regularised, so a nominal 4 x 2in should be the same whichever mill it comes from (yeah, right) with the added advantages of being splinter free and increasing Canada's GDP. The real question is what is MLM?

Know what you mean with hardwood - but there is an awful lot of wastage with it. 20 to 25% is not untypical.

Sponsored Links
I definitely think in Centigrade these days not Fahrenheit.

Yep, but then C was what was used in the labs at school and it stuck because it's more rational.

I weigh out stuff for cooking in grams

Happy to use either, but the oz /grams button on the very precise scales I use, fails to do anything - so it's grams all the way.

I measure in mms

Again happy to use either, but I think in Imperial.
I still think in miles
Yep.

and I use Psi for tyre pressure.

Me too, it is more precise anyway without going to fractions.

Is that a benefit do you think ?
They want to inch away from Europe, but they're going to have to go the extra mile to achieve it.
And again, Carman posts and Pat ex wakes up too. Anyone else find that strange? I mean, if you’re running under more than one forum name, you think you’d be a bit more discreet about it, wouldn’t you? ;)

And again, Carman posts and Pat ex wakes up too. Anyone else find that strange? I mean, if you’re running under more than one forum name, you think you’d be a bit more discreet about it, wouldn’t you? ;)
:ROFLMAO:
If you insist on looking a fool, at least add a bit of humour.
I think I'm going to look for your posts in the future, and start posting at the same time. That'll confuse you. :LOL:

:ROFLMAO:
If you insist on looking a fool, at least add a bit of humour.
I think I'm going to look for your posts in the future, and start posting at the same time. That'll confuse you. :LOL:
As has been asked of you before, do you two know each other? You both 'joined' as 'new members' within a couple of weeks of each other. :unsure:

As has been asked of you before, do you two know each other? You both 'joined' as 'new members' within a couple of weeks of each other. :unsure:

Easy for a moderator to sort out, from the IP's of each, if the moderation was adequate, they would be blocked from the site. Most forums include a membership rule of only one signup per IP.

Here is the conundrum

If I say I dont know him (I don't), you won't believe me anyway.

If I say I do know him (I don't), you will believe me.

You make your own mind up and tell me what you now believe. The answer will show how closed your mind is.

For clarity, I have no idea who he is or anything about him. But that still won't help you to get it right. I can't make it any clearer for you though

Easy for a moderator to sort out, from the IP's of each, if the moderation was adequate, they would be blocked from the site. Most forums include a membership rule of only one signup per IP.
I would expect there to be some sort of automatic checking if the same IP is used.
It doesn't need a mod to monitor it.

We're both Martians really, we've been posted to earth to confuse people like you. (We're not Martians really, I'm just using that as an expression, because you wouldn't understand nor be able to pronounce the real planet's name from where we come.)
I'm due for some leave soon, but my colleague will be staying on until I return, (I can't explain in Earth time how long that will be, in a way that you could understand) then he'll be going on leave.

Please ask a moderator to check. Nothing to hide, or to admit to here.

At mottie mostly

I do notice it was a convenient way of avoiding the actual question. Is going back to imperial a benefit ? Clue; it means going backwards .

Not really. As I understand it, unless you have a static IP address, switching your router off then back on assigns you a different IP address. And then there’s the VPN route that can be used……

Sponsored Links
Back