We might be getting imperial measurements back.

As long ago as 1838 a Royal Commission for the Restoration of the Standards of Weight and Measure was appointed and in it's report referred to the advantages of establishing decimal currency in the UK, going on to say that this was required before reform of weights and measures could be undertaken.
From 1851 to 1887 the 2 shilling or florin coin had the words "ONE TENTH OF A POUND" on them, so were deemed early decimal coins.

Sponsored Links
Maybe, but your posts are normally more thought through and less provocative.
Fair point (y)

sometimes I get fed up with having a govt whose entire effort is driven by keeping Johnson in power.

how I wish for a government actually interested in governance and acted with honesty.

This govt are bereft of ideas and morally corrupt

I'm using metric values more these days than when I was young. When running I use kilometres, when doing height or weight I use meters and kilos.

But let's face it, this will change nothing. A few people will start to fail to price things in £/kg and move to £/lb. No one will really care beyond the shoppers who will have more work to compare prices.

A pointless distraction from any of the important topics around at the moment.

Fair point (y)

sometimes I get fed up with having a govt whose entire effort is driven by keeping Johnson in power.

how I wish for a government actually interested in governance and acted with honesty.

This govt are bereft of ideas and morally corrupt
I feel your pain, albeit from a different angle.

How i wish for a government with proper conservative values that would actually try to maximise the benefits of Brexit, that could actually spend their time governing as opposed to constantly firefighting accusations of sleaze and corruption and that didn't resort to giveaways and populist taxes to deflect from the accusations.

Sponsored Links
I thought "conservative values" included integrity, morality, honesty and trust - all sadly lacking in the current bunch of sleaze-balls

I always wondered why American cars were so bad.

What because of the imperial system ???

6.6 would be 400 cubic inches (ish)

302 = 5 litres

So on and so forth

The cubic inch designation also pretty much tells you the engine type

The number 302 would tell you
It’s a Ford v8 5 litres

As for the small
Block Chevy V8 engines GM have probably sold my crate engines than any other manu

And probably more than every other manu combined

As for the small
Block Chevy V8 engines GM have probably sold my crate engines than any other manu

And probably more than every other manu combined

Plenty based on the Buick one as well, Rover V8 among others.

People’s height is generally ( always ) measured / quoted in feet and inches
Most forms I see have metric first these days, especially thd NHS ones I've filled in recently. All database data is in metric as it apparently makes calculation of anaesthetics, drug doses, etc far easier, more accurate and therefore safer (as it is less easy to make calculation errors)
Speed of yer car in MPH
Granted, but your speedo also hss metric numbers there as well. Even my 1970s Reliant Scimitar GTE had that 40 years ago!
Weight in stones and pounds in many cases
Nope. Again, forms tend to be metric first nowadays. I know my weight in kilograms, not stones and pounds, simply because I work in kilos. Again, the NHS convert your archaic measures to kilos for the reasons given above.

Even my missus has finally converted to kilos as differences in weight are easier to comprehend, so she tells me
Psi for pressure when pumping up tyres ect
So what you are saying is you don't use the second scale that every PCL tyre inflator has had for well over 30 years?

As to engine sizes, just exactly when did they last use cubic inches to describe engine size in the UK? The answer is a long time before 1960 (in fact they never did - prior to cc being used it was HP as in Austin A40 and before that RAC horsepower - a taxation value). I seem to recall that the quintessentially British BMC gave its' cars names like Austin 1100, Morris 1800, Mini Cooper 970S, 1071S then 1275S, and so on starting in the early 1960s.

My Lord, you'll be calling for the reintroduction of cubits and ells next. Just how ancient are you?

Last edited by a moderator:
The metre seems to have been based on the planet. Fine until they could measure the planet more accurately. The cc / ml was based on that being 1gm of water - again wrong when it could be measured more accurately.

The metric system does have some good points, ft lbs, lbs ft, hp and such like. My car doesn't state psi for tyre pressure - irritating as I have to change the setting on my 12v plug in pump if I need to use it. It defaults to psi.

I also get cheesed off when they introduce new units in the honour of some one from the distant past. I wonder if we will be recording body temperature in Kelvin one day. Thankfully Centigrade is famous. Also decisions that all go in 1,000's eg 1mm or 1m so I might say according to ISO my pen is approximately 173mm long. Sticking microns on a micrometer is also a joke.

Some would have us use decimal time and angles - may their ideas be buried with them.

I wondered about fitting a rover v8 into something - it could be ordered on the basis of what hp would you like but I assume there is some limit.

Sponsored Links
Back