Energy Cap

Firstly where is the incentive to save energy if its going to be capped at 2.5k.

It confused me at first, because it's not obvious - it is the average of everyone's bill which is capped and it's not an absolute cap on annual cost at all. The cap is a cap on cost per kw, so you will still pay for each and every kw you use. Less cost if you use less, more cost if you use more.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that it is not beyond the realms of modern science to install panels on the sides of buildings also.
Obviously care would be needed in deciding which buildings and which sides.
I guess the issue with that is that the panels would be in shade for large parts of the day. South facing is obviously best in that respect.

I've also wondered whether, with a bit of knowledge of the sun's passage through the sky, solar panels could be mounted on a rotating mechanism that also adjust the angle of the panel to optimise the amount of sunlight gained by the panels throughout the year. This wouldn't work on roofs, but maybe would in large arrays in fields.

I guess the issue with that is that the panels would be in shade for large parts of the day. South facing is obviously best in that respect.

I've also wondered whether, with a bit of knowledge of the sun's passage through the sky, solar panels could be mounted on a rotating mechanism that also adjust the angle of the panel to optimise the amount of sunlight gained by the panels throughout the year. This wouldn't work on roofs, but maybe would in large arrays in fields.
I believe that many are adjustable for angle, but not for rotation, yet.

You want us to google for something that we don't know because it is being withheld from us? You're not very good at this, are you?
Have you never noticed - Dork Lard, Dork Lard@rse, Dork Lard Pure Blood, Brigade77 or whatever he's called himself in the past ALWAYS hints that he knows all the deep, dark government/financial secrets but never repeats any of them in case he causes mass hysteria amongst us plebeians?

Sponsored Links
Slightly different weather in CA.

In Greece you hardly see any EVs or PV solar on the roof. They have crude hot water solar heaters. But few electricity solar installs. They all moan about how expensive fuel is. err hello - look up. In the UK we have around 1M homes with solar installs.
Yes, they get something like 1.5 - 2x the kWh out of the same number of panels that we do. They also have higher installation and registration costs I believe.

I believe that many are adjustable for angle, but not for rotation, yet.
Trackers have been around for ages, both tilt and rotation. Two dimensional trackers don't make sense economically, they'll never pay for themselves. One dimensional does make more sense but I don't think even they make enough money to be worth it.

, I caught her in the kitchen with the back door wide open & the boiler nearly exploding in trying to keep up with the heat loss
Is this a female thing.
My wife turns the heating on and then opens all the windows.
My mate complains that his wife does the same.

If sunlight is reflected onto a solar panel using a mirror, does it generate the same amount of electricity as sunlight shining onto a solar panel directly.?

Panels could be installed in the street - remember " The walkie-talkie" building in London

If sunlight is reflected onto a solar panel using a mirror, does it generate the same amount of electricity as sunlight shining onto a solar panel directly.?
No, but the energy loss obviously depends on the quality of the mirror. No mirror is perfect, but some are better than others.
You must have seen those huge solar arrays that concentrate the sun's rays to a point to generate electricity?

But they tend to use the sun to heat water to power steam turbines. Mirrors are used in some installs to reflect light. But typically its easier to just add more panels where the mirrors would be.

But they tend to use the sun to heat water to power steam turbines. Mirrors are used in some installs to reflect light. But typically its easier to just add more panels where the mirrors would be.
Yes, slightly different, but concentrate enough light in one area and there's a huge amount of energy there.

I guess the only advantage of using mirrors to reflect light onto the panels would be the lower cost of the mirrors compared to the PV panels.

From wanting to install a small solar powered pump. There is an optimum angle for the sun's "height" summer and winter.

So it all comes down to panel efficiency against angle - quick google

Optimal electricity production occurs when solar panels face south at a tilt equal to 30°. However, even if you lower the tilt of your roof all the way down to 5°, production only decreases by about 10 percent.

Bifacial panels are able generate some extra electricity at the rear of the panel from rays reflected off the ground

Sponsored Links
Back