EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
Another 310 happy (and very cheap!) miles today. Spent 9 minutes charging. Didn't need a new battery or set itself on fire... :giggle:

Pity. With a slightly different attitude, you could have made some money out of him, registering on something like the GoPlugable or Plugshare, or a similar site, but whatever... Your flat, your rules...

I think it was actually his attitude that should be different. I don't think future tenats will want to be falling over EVs and cables streched from next door's window across to the forecourt. Who pays a claim if someone trips over cable? Then there's the hassle of people charging their AAAs going out and leaving their contraption blocking the entrance for hours on end that might be needed for a delivery of something. Tenants are often aggro, without taking on the responsibility of someone else's. Then does the buildings insurance cover the increased fire risk? :eek:

Anyway, as a family of ICE owners, we don't need to earn a few extra quid to cover massive depreciation. :cool: (y);)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think it was actually his attitude that should be different. I don't think future tenats will want to be falling over EVs and cables streched from next door's window across to the forecourt. Who pays a claim if someone trips over cable? Then there's the hassle of people charging their AAAs going out and leaving their contraption blocking the entrance for hours on end that might be needed for a delivery of something. Tenants are often aggro, without taking on the responsibility of someone else's. Then does the buildings insurance cover the increased fire risk? :eek:

Anyway, as a family of ICE owners, we don't need to earn a few extra quid to cover massive depreciation. :cool: (y);)

Like I said, your flat, your rules... :rolleyes:

We're doing well with our EV that we have had for just over a year.

We have found we get a regular 200 miles at a minimum from each full charge. We have done some medium range journeys of up to 300 miles and have mostly just used our home charger @ 7p. When we have needed to, we have used high speed chargers which are much more expensive, but average out the price and it's all good.

We don't worry about using the heater or aircon, we use the car just as we did our Honda FRV.

We're doing well with our EV that we have had for just over a year.

We have found we get a regular 200 miles at a minimum from each full charge. We have done some medium range journeys of up to 300 miles and have mostly just used our home charger @ 7p. When we have needed to, we have used high speed chargers which are much more expensive, but average out the price and it's all good.

We don't worry about using the heater or aircon, we use the car just as we did our Honda FRV.

Same here. There's a lot of ill-informed hysteria out there...

Deffo. I've read many stories about "run-away" EVs, exploding EVs and EVs that are unreliable.

Never read a story about an EV that the owners are happy with, who are getting good "mpg", that is reliable and doesn't have a tendency to want to murder its keepers.

Deffo. I've read many stories about "run-away" EVs, exploding EVs and EVs that are unreliable.

Never read a story about an EV that the owners are happy with, who are getting good "mpg", that is reliable and doesn't have a tendency to want to murder its keepers.

Big Oil has massive resources and a huge supply of willing stooges to help spread its misinformation. Plus the various whackjob conspiracy theorists who ride on the shirt tails of anything "anti" in their search for "clicks". Then you get the libertarians who are like sulky children and just don't like anyone telling them what to do. If EVs were the norm, and the government was trying to "push" ICEs on us, they'd swap sides in the blink of an eye.

Real change, however, will only come from ordinary folk using EVs in their daily lives, and realising that the bogeymen are largely illusory. Quiet conversations with neighbours over the garden fence, down the pub, at the office water cooler, where ordinary folk who they know and trust, just say "Yeah, I've got one, it's alright, really. Quite like it in fact", are what will ultimately win the day.

But the fossil fuel companies won't give up without a big fight, that's for sure! ;)

Must get me an EV, so I can have Big Battery, Koreans and those lovely Chinese fighting for my interests. :LOL:

I've just come out of an SMMT meeting. Looks like the government is going to make a big investment in UK-based battery manufacturing, so soon, you'll have a British company fighting for your business too. How good is that, eh?! ;)

Must get me an EV, so I can have Big Battery, Koreans and those lovely Chinese fighting for my interests. :LOL:

None of them are fighting for your interests: that's the point (y)

It's just that the spin-off of Big Oil looking out for themselves is the ongoing march of anthropogenic climate change.

I've just come out of an SMMT meeting. Looks like the government is going to make a big investment in UK-based battery manufacturing, so soon, you'll have a British company fighting for your business too. How good is that, eh?! ;)
I should point out first that this is of no real personal interest to me. However, I think it is quite commonplace for new governments to make promises which, possibly due to matters outside of their control, never come into practice during their tenure. I suspect that this new Labour government will be the same. Well, we shall see.

I should point out first that this is of no real personal interest to me. However, I think it is quite commonplace for new governments to make promises which, possibly due to matters outside of their control, never come into practice during their tenure. I suspect that this new Labour government will be the same. Well, we shall see.

Possibly. Early days yet, but so far, they're making very encouraging noises as far as the car industry is concerned. For a start, it's just nice to be dealing with ministers who actually seem capable of understanding the issues!

Sponsored Links
Back