EV are they worth it?

I've just come out of an SMMT meeting. Looks like the government is going to make a big investment in UK-based battery manufacturing, so soon, you'll have a British company fighting for your business too. How good is that, eh?! ;)

Great! The one in my Nokia isn't holding as much charge as it used to.

Sponsored Links
Brother's friend has gone away on hol with him and left a Kia Nino/Niro????? EV on brother's drive. Thing is hideous and poss devaluing his house while it sits there heavily depreciating.

It's white and has a strange bonnet, more like a lid. I imagine he bought it from the white goods dept of Currys or somewhere similar.

Brother's friend has gone away on hol with him and left a Kia Nino/Niro????? EV on brother's drive. Thing is hideous and poss devaluing his house while it sits there heavily depreciating.

It's white and has a strange bonnet, more like a lid. I imagine he bought it from the white goods dept of Currys or somewhere similar.
LOL!

Sponsored Links

Odd as it might sound, it might be increasing the value, regardless of where it came from

It'll look much the same as an ICE-powered Niro, but without the tailpipe... :rolleyes:

On the subject of costs my 2012 1.5 dci megane estate cost me £2400 five years ago, only bills are tyres, steering joints for mot I usually do myself, just worked out about 10p / mile and just been offered 2100 for it but not selling, and as its "eco" modle no road tax, cheap to run or what, how many electric cars will be happily running around in 12 years time without new batteries etc.

how many electric cars will be happily running around in 12 years time without new batteries

Almost all of them, quite probably (y)

"The electric car battery has been designed to withstand the test of time, and whilst manufacturers typically offer warranties of around eight to 10 years and/or 100,000 miles, many EV batteries last twice as long. This is comparable with the lifespan of conventional petrol or diesel cars."

On the subject of costs my 2012 1.5 dci megane estate cost me £2400 five years ago, only bills are tyres, steering joints for mot I usually do myself, just worked out about 10p / mile and just been offered 2100 for it but not selling, and as its "eco" modle no road tax, cheap to run or what, how many electric cars will be happily running around in 12 years time without new batteries etc.

I've had a lot of people say that to me when it comes to elderly cars - even before EVs were "a thing", and the conversation usually goes something like this:

"Bloody brillint car, that. Cost me absolutely nothing".

"Well, there was that alternator the other month"

"OK, yeah, but that's just an alternator, I mean, lots of cars need alternators, no big deal really"

"...and a couple of cam belts"

"Well... yeah, but that's just servicing, innit"

"...and you put a new water pump on it.."

"Well, yeah, but it made sense, while the cam belt was off, I mean, it didn't need it...."

"...and that tail box...."

"Aye, but that's a consumable, though, innit..."

(and so on).

But yeah, if you're happy with it and you don't mind paying for the fuel...

Your tax is an interesting one, though. Between 2001 and 2017, the government brought in graduated VED based on CO2 emissions, to incentivise the uptake of low CO2 emitting cars. Some smaller, low-powered ones, even got zero VED. Happy days. Right now, the government is doing the same thing (incentivising low CO2 emitting cars) by having zero "road tax" on them if they're EVs, but it wants to withdraw that concession next year an start making EV drivers pay the flat rate. Would you support that? (withdrawing historical tax concessions for reduced CO2 vehicles)? Or do you think that after a certain period of time, that concession should be withdrawn...? ;)

Sponsored Links
Back