EV are they worth it?

It may be or it may not be. We will know when we get there. Burning hydrocarbons to produce motion will always be more efficient than burning hydrocarbons to produce electricity, then to produce motion from that. It's a no brainer except for the greedy politician who hopes to get kickback from big battery because he isn't getting a kickback from big oil.
Burning hydrocarbons. What about solar etc? You're not looking at any full picture. Deliberate I assume.

But an ice engine is not a good example of energy efficiency. A distorted picture again.

With lithium being so easy to burn, I see a future of burning lithium for motion. Lithium will be even more efficient than petrol or diesel. Lithium is the future, but not in the way you hope.
That's just pure rubbish. And I don't hope for any particular energy future. I'm just aware the future isn't petrol or diesel.

Sponsored Links
The UK has two oil powered carriers with lots of oil powered planes on them. No hostile powers will dare.

Yes, having a powerful navy has saved us from so many wars...

...oh...hang on...:rolleyes:

You seemed to have survived fine. Was it just beginner's luck? The only climate problem the UK has is rain, and lack of sun for solar panels.

Ah...a climate change denier too... now there's a surprise...:rolleyes:

It may be or it may not be. We will know when we get there. Burning hydrocarbons to produce motion will always be more efficient than burning hydrocarbons to produce electricity, then to produce motion from that. It's a no brainer except for the greedy politician who hopes to get kickback from big battery because he isn't getting a kickback from big oil.

With lithium being so easy to burn, I see a future of burning lithium for motion. Lithium will be even more efficient than petrol or diesel. Lithium is the future, but not in the way you hope.

And once again, our blaring foghorn of ignorance, broadcasts his utter lack of understanding to the nation...

(He'll be telling us he's "at one" with engineering, next...:ROFLMAO:)

Sponsored Links
Well, the old oil burner has gone to another life. A taxi, probably, and fair play to it: it served me well, for six years and 120 k. But, it was costing a fortune in BiK tax for me, and had more warning lights than a Ukrainian radar station......

Now in a EV rocket ship which took me from south brum to sunny staffs, out for a meal, and then a Leeds return trip....... without needing a charge (y)
Half a tank's worth of diesel would have covered that, so about £30.

Gave it a charge overnight at home, for the princely sum of £4.60 (y)

Good, innit?:D

One thing that occurred to me is that you say it's an 'old' diesel. Yes it is, 20 years old to be precise. :cool:

Wonder how long an EV will last. 10 years maximum before batteries are dead and not economical to replace. Poss few years less if the batteries haven't been treated well.

Yep, built in obsolesence with EV white goods. Don't knock those old oil burners! (y)

You'd only have to look on the Autotrader to see that's not true! There are EVs older than 10 years for sale on there - and for good money!

I was laughing the other day. The kids had the telly on. It was a repeat of a Top Gear programme from 2011. There was Clarkson, doing idiotic things in an EV and telling us all that the batteries in them would only last 5 years... How we laughed...

What is the opportunity price of the EV burning the house down? Like Avocet, you would not have read the insurance T&C and realise you are not covered in such an event.

Our resident insurance terms and conditions expert pontificating again...:ROFLMAO: The guy who was knowledgeably telling us how fitting non-genuine parts would invalidate your insurance (whilst simultaneously starting a thread on fitting a non-genuine cam cover...):ROFLMAO:

So now he's telling us that our house insurance won't pay out if (or maybe it's "when"?) or EVs burn our houses down...

He's wrong of course, but that's not really anything new, is it...?;)

The recent video would suggest the owner would be locked in the EV.

Yes, a bit like the other recent video of the "runaway EV" (whose driver was subsequently arrested). Surprised you're not still wiping the egg of your face from that one... Come to think of it.. you never DID answer my question as to how the "locked in" driver got out to save his daughter, did you...?;)

Where will EV owners be when the pay-per-mile comes in?

Paying per mile, just like ICE owners...

...but unlike ICE owners, they won't be paying ULEZ charges or fuel duty...:giggle:

Ideal for those who spend their entire lives roaring around in vehicles all day and all night, and never actually living.

Or ideal for those who can drive their vehicles on and off for many weeks without constantly faffing around with apps, chargers and leaving cables lying around for people to fall over. :idea::idea::idea:

My Dad has a couple of flats he rents out. Ground floor one is empty at present. It has a forecourt at front that is private property where his tenants can park a couple of cars. Other day I turned up to do some work there and found an Indian tenant from the flats next door parked on this private forecourt - 2 feet from front door of the flat.. He was charging his EV with a cable from his front window. When I explained that the forecourt is private and he was also blocking the front door, he complained that it was the only way he could charge his car and only wanted to park there one day a week.

Told him in no uncertain terms to do one. Some people really haven't thought out the whole EV ownership thing, and I wondered if he was typical of the mentality of EV owners who have rushed into this technology.

Last edited:
Ideal for those who spend their entire lives roaring around in vehicles all day and all night, and never actually living.
My car is worth 3 months of driving per fill, don't know how many miles. Does that mean I have no life too? When you have to resort to personal attacks, you have lost the argument.

Or ideal for those who can drive their vehicles on and off for many weeks without constantly faffing around with apps, chargers and leaving cables lying around for people to fall over. :idea::idea::idea:

My Dad has a couple of flats he rents out. Ground floor one is empty at present. It has a forecourt at front that is private property where his tenants can park a couple of cars. Other day I turned up to do some work there and found an Indian tenant from the flats next door parked on this private forecourt - 2 feet from front door of the flat.. He was charging his EV with a cable from his front window. When I explained that the forecourt is private and he was also blocking the front door, he complained that it was the only way he could charge his car and only wanted to park there one day a week.

Told him in no uncertain terms to do one. Some people really haven't thought out the whole EV ownership thing, and I wondered if he was typical of the mentality of EV owners who have rushed into this technology.
Pity. With a slightly different attitude, you could have made some money out of him, registering on something like the GoPlugable or Plugshare, or a similar site, but whatever... Your flat, your rules...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back