EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Should be "how many lithium ignitions verses ice cars?"

If you like, but then we'd have to count chainsaw fires, strimmer fires, lawnmower fires, motorbike fires... pretty much anything-with-petrol-or-diesel-in-it-fires, in fact...

But with greatly reduced range/performance. :idea::idea:

If the ICE has had sensible servicing, it's range and performance should be virtually as new.

Is that why they scrap cars at about 5 years old in Japan, because they can't pass the MOT over there? Sorry, but the minute you first turn the key, your engine starts to deteriorate. Few ICE cars, no matter how well maintained and services, would pass their type approval emissions tests after 50,000 miles.

EVs are vastly higher performance than any ICE, and plenty can outperform so-called 'supercars' costing millions.

As for range - the same tired old nonsense where a vocal minority try and convince themselves that they simply must have 600+ mile range because that is their daily drive while towing a caravan up a mountain.

I was more referring to range dropping off as battery ages. Bit like my Remington shaver. When new, it would last 10 days on a single charge. Now it struggles to do half that. At least new batteries are cheap and replaceable, even if I do need half an hour with my soldering iron.

Yep. Lower tech, but tried and tested and always gets the job done. Just keeps going. (y)(y)

Load of bollogs.

Only with regular maintenance, and replacement of parts.

Fewer parts to wear out in an EV (y)

And before you try the "£20k for a new battery" angle, that's the same flawed logic of replacing your fuel tank, rather than just putting more fuel into it.
It's been debunked numerous times already.

I was more referring to range dropping off as battery ages. Bit like my Remington shaver.
In the realms of ~1% per 20k miles would be typical for most electric vehicles that have been in use over the last decade or so.

Older types of lithium ion batteries used in vehicles are rated for 80% capacity after 3000 cycles, which even if doing a full charge every weekday is still 10+ years - hence the usual 8 year warranty on such things to not go below 80%
Newer types 6000+ cycles, or 20+ years of daily charging assuming the full capacity is used, which it rarely is.
Even 3000 charge cycles for a vehicle with a 100 mile range is 300000 miles, 30k per year every year.
For a more likely 200 mile range vehicle purchased new today, 6000 charge cycles is already into the million mile battery, more than most people will drive in their lifetime.

Not a problem for anyone. The battery will outlast the vehicle.

Some very early examples of the Nissan Leaf did have significant battery degradation after 10 years, ending up with only 30 or so miles of range per charge, however:
1 those vehicles used a much older type of battery chemistry
2 they had no battery cooling so overheating batteries was common
3 they only had about 70 miles of range when new.

All EVs have battery cooling now to avoid such problems. Batteries in phones, shavers and other devices are unrelated.

There are obviously exceptions, such as batteries which failed after a few thousand miles, and petrol engines which exploded after a few thousand miles, or transmissions which self destructed after just a few months.
That's why vehicles have warranties to cover such rare events.

Sponsored Links
Back