EV are they worth it?

Strange to think there is a part of "central London" that takes more than half a day round trip to Screwfix.

chrome_screenshot_24 Sept 2024 14_47_31 BST.png

And there is no other store nearer.

Rather than waste my time, I'd order for delivery.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Range drops by much more than 50% - then what. Even supposing you could tow to a site, what do you then, I have yet to hear of any site, with recharge facilities. There is a reason why you never come across EV tow cars..

So what? Don't ICEs get thirstier when towing? It means you'll have to stop more often to charge when you're pulling your caravan, but in my experience of getting stuck behind bloody "shed-draggers", it's not like any of them are in a hurry to get anywhere anyway! :ROFLMAO:

(More seriously, the number that can tow, and the weight they can tow, is steadily increasing. Mine will tow 1600kg but newer ones can tow more).

Sponsored Links
So what? Don't ICEs get thirstier when towing?

Not a problem, my solo range is 600miles, less towing, but I can replenish the range in minutes.
but in my experience of getting stuck behind bloody "shed-draggers", it's not like any of them are in a hurry to get anywhere anyway! :ROFLMAO:

Most solo car drivers, fail to keep up with me, even when I am towing. Your point is?

Not a problem, my solo range is 600miles, less towing, but I can replenish the range in minutes.

Most solo car drivers, fail to keep up with me, even when I am towing. Your point is?

I'm not "most solo drivers"... :p

But again, more seriously, we are going to have to learn to do things differently in the future. I don't know if you're unfortunate enough to be affected by this current rash of floods, but, like it or not, our climate is changing. This is only going to get worse unless we change the way we do things. Folk are only too happy to take the plus sides of EVs - the lack of servicing, the cheap running costs when charged domestically, the convenience of charging in your sleep, automatic defrosting and de-icing, etc), but they also want to keep all the "good bits" associated with the ICE experience too. Unfortunately, real life ain't like that!

A case in point - you ask how many camp sites have recharging facilities, yet if I were to ask how many camp sites have their own petrol stations, that would be unreasonable! I think plenty of camp sites have "electricity", do they not? Sure, you won't be able to charge very fast from a camp site hookup, but then, you can't refill with diesel at all on a campsite!

But again, more seriously, we are going to have to learn to do things differently in the future. I don't know if you're unfortunate enough to be affected by this current rash of floods, but, like it or not, our climate is changing.

The one sure thing abut the climate, is that it has always changed.

A case in point - you ask how many camp sites have recharging facilities, yet if I were to ask how many camp sites have their own petrol stations, that would be unreasonable! I think plenty of camp sites have "electricity", do they not? Sure, you won't be able to charge very fast from a camp site hookup, but then, you can't refill with diesel at all on a campsite!

That is just silly, because I can fill up almost anywhere with diesel in an instant. An EV, not only requires a suitable charge point, but lots of time spent on it to recharge. Most, many site supplies, limit you to 10amp, and that 10amps is already oversubscribed by water heating, space heating, lighting and fridge freezer use. It's usual to turn one load off, before you can turn another on. There simply is nothing spare, for charging EV's.

Strange to think there is a part of "central London" that takes more than half a day round trip to Screwfix.
Not being a frequent user of public transport, I am often unable to find the right platform. Even when I do, the train could be going the wrong direction. Half a day is a good day.

Caravans, caravan sites and all of that malarkey should be permanently deleted.

Vast sums spent on the thing in the first place.
Even more on some gigantic wagon to tow it.
Then it spends 99% of it's time blocking the front window of your house.
Even when it's used, driving for hours to some distant field and paying even more to park it there.
After that, some kind of holiday might possibly occur.
But wait - now you have to tow the contraption for hours so it can be stored in front of your house for the next 6 months.

That is just silly, because I can fill up almost anywhere with diesel in an instant. An EV, not only requires a suitable charge point, but lots of time spent on it to recharge.

There are a lot more EV chargers than petrol stations, actually. And no, it doesn't take a lot of time on a fast one.

Most, many site supplies, limit you to 10amp, and that 10amps is already oversubscribed by water heating, space heating, lighting and fridge freezer use. It's usual to turn one load off, before you can turn another on. There simply is nothing spare, for charging EV's.

There's nothing spare for whatever it is that you don't want to use, you mean? If there really was no electricity to be had at all, then you'd only be in the same position as if you arrived at the campsite low on petrol or diesel. You'd just have to go find somewhere to fill up again.

Caravans, caravan sites and all of that malarkey should be permanently deleted.

Or perhaps people who impatient and intolerant of others, ought to be permanently deleted?
Vast sums spent on the thing in the first place.
True!

Even more on some gigantic wagon to tow it.
Untrue! Like many/most, I tow with quite normal car.

Then it spends 99% of it's time blocking the front window of your house.

Untrue, mine is tucked away, at the very rear end of my drive, hidden behind my garage.
Even when it's used, driving for hours to some distant field and paying even more to park it there.

Just to dissuade the riff, raff, don't you know.
now you have to tow the contraption for hours so it can be stored in front of your house for the next 6 months.

No, it is parked up, cleaned, tidied, and prepared ready for the next trip. My next trip is already organised, and will be in a few weeks.

There's nothing spare for whatever it is that you don't want to use, you mean? If there really was no electricity to be had at all, then you'd only be in the same position as if you arrived at the campsite low on petrol or diesel. You'd just have to go find somewhere to fill up again.

If charging station are so common, with so many available to be used - why do so many complain of the concern of running out and being able to find anywhere at all to charge? Try finding anywhere to charge, out in the countryside.

Try comparing the number of pumps, with the number of charging outlets. Where I live, within 1 mile, there are 20 actual pumps, able to refuel a vehicle in 5minutes. In the same distance, there are three public charging outlets, which might be occupied for several hours to recharge a vehicle.

Finding liquid fuel, is ridiculously easy, ridiculously quick to refuel. Only a fool would suggest it were otherwise.

Sorry, but your trickery has a long way to go yet, before it can even begin to complete, on any but local shopping trips ;)

If charging station are so common, with so many available to be used - why do so many complain of the concern of running out and being able to find anywhere at all to charge?

Largely because of BS spouted on social media from maybe 5 years ago, when there weren't many charging stations. Personally, I've never had a problem finding them. For starters, they're all in the car's sat-nav - or indeed, any number of 3rd Party apps like Zapmap!

Try finding anywhere to charge, out in the countryside.

I LIVE in the countryside! :ROFLMAO:

Try comparing the number of pumps, with the number of charging outlets. Where I live, within 1 mile, there are 20 actual pumps, able to refuel a vehicle in 5minutes. In the same distance, there are three public charging outlets, which might be occupied for several hours to recharge a vehicle.

I can't verify that unless I know where you live, can I?

Finding liquid fuel, is ridiculously easy, ridiculously quick to refuel. Only a fool would suggest it were otherwise.

Sorry, but your trickery has a long way to go yet, before it can even begin to complete, on any but local shopping trips ;)

That's quite funny really, considering I do about 20,000 miles a year in an EV, up and down the country...

...but yeah... feel free to tell someone who actually does it, week in-week out, how difficult it is to use an EV for any but local shopping trips...;)

Sponsored Links
Back