EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
"Man drives vehicle 120,000 miles then complains that part warranted for 100,000 miles isn't replaced under warranty"

Spot the dickhead

"Man drives vehicle 120,000 miles then complains that part warranted for 100,000 miles isn't replaced under warranty"

Spot the dickhead
Not really. Man was shocked by $15,000 to fix car. If he drove an ICE, he would not have this shock.

Sponsored Links
So ICE cars never need a new engine or a new transmission?
Rarely. For regular non-racer drivers, these components usually last the lifetime of the car. Although, the transmission on my last E36 was on the way out before it was written off by the insurance after accident. I was less experienced and too trusting (naive) with it, and handed the keys to car park attendants and had it dealer serviced, etc. They broke it. I learnt my lesson and nobody touches my car now, and no issues - 20 years old running like champ and minimum maintenance costs. Try that with an EV!

Last edited:
Rarely. For regular non-racer drivers, these components usually last the lifetime of the car. Although, the transmission on my last E36 was on the way out before it was written off by the insurance after accident. I was less experienced and too trusting (naive) with it, and handed the keys to car park attendants and had it dealer serviced, etc. They broke it. I learnt my lesson and nobody touches my car now, and no issues - 20 years old running like champ and minimum maintenance costs. Try that with an EV!
113 year old EV still running - try that with an ICE!

Yes my Ford Festa auto the cones in the transmission, wore out, so I removed it and fitted a manual transmission, I would think the newer cars with gears my wife's car is an 8 speed auto, is a tad more complex to the infinitely variable transmission of the old festa which was a modern version of the one used in the DAF, yet I did not attempt to repair it. By the time it failed the car was worth less than £500 so if I could not have DIY the repair, it would have been scrap. Most repairs on even a £2000 car are worth doing, however I still see milk floats being used, with lead acid batteries, and the life expectancy for a lead acid traction battery is 25 years, and one cell can be renewed, I have changed cells myself in a forklift battery, the problem is it is not a cell change but a whole battery, seems to me a design flaw.

Funny enough, EV batteries also tend to last the life of the car...

...and then there's the lifetime servicing cost savings to consider... :)

Yes my Ford Festa auto the cones in the transmission, wore out, so I removed it and fitted a manual transmission, I would think the newer cars with gears my wife's car is an 8 speed auto, is a tad more complex to the infinitely variable transmission of the old festa which was a modern version of the one used in the DAF, yet I did not attempt to repair it. By the time it failed the car was worth less than £500 so if I could not have DIY the repair, it would have been scrap. Most repairs on even a £2000 car are worth doing, however I still see milk floats being used, with lead acid batteries, and the life expectancy for a lead acid traction battery is 25 years, and one cell can be renewed, I have changed cells myself in a forklift battery, the problem is it is not a cell change but a whole battery, seems to me a design flaw.

No reason why you can't change a cell on a current EV battery either (unless its a Tesla Model Y with the glued-together cells in the battery pack)! What the anti-EV brigade forget (sometimes willfully, I suspect), is that they'll glibly tell you that they can get another engine from a scrapyard, if they need one for their aged ICE, but they always tell you the official parts-and-labour replacement battery cost from a main dealer!;)

The reality, of course, is that if you have an ageing EV with a duff battery, you wouldn't replace it with a brand new one from a main dealer - just like you wouldn't get a brand new auto gearbox for your £500 Fiesta from a main dealer. Even now, there are already independent operators starting to emerge, who will repair and recondition EV batteries.

None of this is anything new. 100-or-so years ago, we had blacksmiths and wheelwrights and coachbuilders telling us how those newfangled horseless carriages were impossible to repair. But people upskilled and a thriving motor trade grew up. 40-odd years ago, transistorised ignition systems started to replace contact breaker systems. That was going to be the end of the world too. 30-odd years ago, carburetors started to disappear in favour of fuel injection, and that was going to be the end of the word too. 20 years from now, there will be people under railway arches, replacing EV battery cells and fitting recon battery packs, and we'll wonder what all the fuss was about...

Funny enough, EV batteries also tend to last the life of the car...

...and then there's the lifetime servicing cost savings to consider... :)
Of coarse EV batteries last the life of the car, when they fail that is end of life for the car. But my E-bike I can get a spare battery to extend the range, and when the battery fails I can still peddle home. I can take the battery off, catch bus home, recharge it, and return with a charged battery.

If we look at the 1970's EV they were designed so one could drop off one battery and pick up another so replenishing the electric supply was faster than refuelling with liquid fuel, same with fork lift batteries, nothing wrong with an EV, be it a golf trolley, or mobility scooter they have there place. But as a private car, as yet still not cracked it.

My solar panels has a battery, same type as in a car, and one has failed, within weeks of being fitted, however changed under warrantee and I have looked at the projected life, and it should pay for its self. But when renewed it took them less than ½ hour, it took longer to carry from their van, and carry old one back, than it took to fit it, it is not the EV at fault, it is the way the system is being used in cars.

Of coarse EV batteries last the life of the car, when they fail that is end of life for the car. But my E-bike I can get a spare battery to extend the range, and when the battery fails I can still peddle home. I can take the battery off, catch bus home, recharge it, and return with a charged battery.

On my (non-electric) pushbike, I have no batteries to worry about at all! I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here? There are advantages and disadvantages to everything. I like riding my e-bike, because it's less work than my pushbike, but I accept that there's a downside to that as well...

If we look at the 1970's EV they were designed so one could drop off one battery and pick up another so replenishing the electric supply was faster than refuelling with liquid fuel, same with fork lift batteries, nothing wrong with an EV, be it a golf trolley, or mobility scooter they have there place. But as a private car, as yet still not cracked it.

:ROFLMAO: As someone who does 20,000 miles a year, up and down the country in an EV, I think that's quite funny... If you wan't a '70s EV, that's absolutely fine and good luck to you! Here's one. 33 MPH top speed and "up to" 40 miles of range! (And no, you can't change any of the cells faster than you can fill an ICE car). Personally, for what I need, I'm going to stick with 120 MPH and up to 300 miles of range...

IMG_20230515_150816_HDRs.jpg

My solar panels has a battery, same type as in a car, and one has failed, within weeks of being fitted, however changed under warrantee and I have looked at the projected life, and it should pay for its self. But when renewed it took them less than ½ hour, it took longer to carry from their van, and carry old one back, than it took to fit it, it is not the EV at fault, it is the way the system is being used in cars.

We regularly drop the battery pack out of EVs at work. Takes about half an hour.

EV batteries can be serviced and refurbished if a cell dies. It happened a lot for Nissan leafs, although it's quite rare for other brands as they just don't fail very often.

Swappable EV batteries are a thing, NIO for example, but it's awkward and sometimes slower than a fast charger would be. Plus it's a more complex ownership model that we Brits don't like.

All of these tired old criticisms show more about a lack of understanding of what is around than a failure of others to plan for it.

Sponsored Links
Back