EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
One of the biggest problems, is agreeing on what "like-for-like" actually means. Do we mean like-for-like price points? Because if we do, there are absolutely plenty of things in ICEs and EVs that could lumber the owner with a bill that size. £15k is about what I would expect to pay for a new DSG gearbox, dealer-fitted, in my wife's 2 litre diesel. And of course, the anti-EV brigade love to quote battery costs, brand new, from the factory, and fitted by a main dealer, because that is what looks the scariest. So.. yeah, if we're talking like-for-like on price point, then yes, you can absolutely spend that on an ICE car.

Or maybe we're talking like-for-like on performance? Well here, the EV has the ICE knocked into a coked hat. To get an ICE car that will do a sub-4 second 0-60, you're looking at some very exotic machinery indeed. I doubt you'd even be able to buy a door mirror for the kind of ICE car that offers like-for-like acceleration to an EV, for what a new battery would cost...

Or maybe we're talking like-for-like size? Say... Nissan Leaf vs. VW Golf? Yeah, we can do that, but then. you won't have to pay £15k for a Leaf battery...

Like for like as in a hyundai EV battery against a major component on a hyundai ICE car of comparable dimension.

WTF you call that? £12,000 is $15,384.

62kWh batteries available, supplied and fitted £12,000 inc VAT

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Like for like as in a hyundai EV battery against a major component on a hyundai ICE car of comparable dimension.

WTF you call that?

62kWh batteries available, supplied and fitted £12,000 inc VAT

Pick two Hyundai vehicles - one EV (not hybrid) and one ICE (not hybrid) that you regard as equivalent...

Pick two Hyundai vehicles - one EV (not hybrid) and one ICE (not hybrid) that you regard as equivalent...
I know nothing about hyundai's. You are in the trade, you pick. But, I will see if it's a fair pick. I know you always try to pull a fast one.

I know nothing about hyundai's. You are in the trade, you pick. But, I will see if it's a fair pick. I know you always try to pull a fast one.
Not running away when actual facts are asked for?

I was going to ask you for the comparative servicing costs of the cars you picked too.

Sorry pal. I know you of old. You're a serial timewaster, so if this argument means anything to you, YOU can do the legwork. :)

The Biden administration has a climate goal that 50 percent of all new car sales in the US will be electric by 2030. Meanwhile, China already reached that milestone this year, in 2024. Over the past decade, China has pulled numerous levers to scale up its electric vehicle industry, and key to that strategy has been the development of the most globally competitive EV battery. Their efforts have spawned the world’s biggest battery companies, like CATL and BYD.

A short video goes on to explain...

One of the biggest problems, is agreeing on what "like-for-like" actually means. Do we mean like-for-like price points? Because if we do, there are absolutely plenty of things in ICEs and EVs that could lumber the owner with a bill that size. £15k is about what I would expect to pay for a new DSG gearbox, dealer-fitted, in my wife's 2 litre diesel. And of course, the anti-EV brigade love to quote battery costs, brand new, from the factory, and fitted by a main dealer, because that is what looks the scariest. So.. yeah, if we're talking like-for-like on price point, then yes, you can absolutely spend that on an ICE car.

Or maybe we're talking like-for-like on performance? Well here, the EV has the ICE knocked into a coked hat. To get an ICE car that will do a sub-4 second 0-60, you're looking at some very exotic machinery indeed. I doubt you'd even be able to buy a door mirror for the kind of ICE car that offers like-for-like acceleration to an EV, for what a new battery would cost...

Or maybe we're talking like-for-like size? Say... Nissan Leaf vs. VW Golf? Yeah, we can do that, but then. you won't have to pay £15k for a Leaf battery...

here is full review
I agree, EVs definitely outperform ICE cars in terms of acceleration and overall performance. The comparison gets tricky depending on which factors you prioritize.

This is because china is authoritarian. That means they can force people to do things even if it's wrong. Authoritarianism is fine when the decision is right, but terrible when it is wrong. I have been saying EVs are a trap specifically designed for china. I will be proven right. We shall see.

Signs of the future are available to see now:

Last edited:
Sorry pal. I know you of old. You're a serial timewaster, so if this argument means anything to you, YOU can do the legwork. :)
I made a point. You disagreed. Therefore, it is your burden to provide information that support your argument. Otherwise, it's a case of put up and shut up in regards to my point.

This is because china is authoritarian. That means they can force people to do things even if it's wrong. Authoritarianism is fine when the decision is right, but terrible when it is wrong. I have been saying EVs are a trap specifically designed for china. I will be proven right. We shall see.

Signs of the future are available to see now:

You don't think this country is authoritarian?
How many people were evicted from their homes in order to build the Olympic stadium?
The switch to EV is a necessary evolution.

Sponsored Links
Back