EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
Like people who did low mileages and short runs, but rushed out to by diesel ICEs with DPFs you mean...? ;)

A bit like electricity when that first came out... right...? Yeah... that was going to be the end of the world too...:rolleyes:

View attachment 355100
Ha - what odd ideas people had back then.

f43c3068093cad4bbea099e109b6d765.jpg

crazy-street-wiring-saigon-ho-chi-minh-city-vietnam-30002031.jpg

chaotic-electrical-supply-by-hundreds-of-wires-wrapped-around-poles-HE1J07.jpg

Sponsored Links
Imagine complaining to your mates about your electricity bill...........................

...........and them all laughing at you, saying "What's an electricity bill?" :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO:

Jokes aside, (true story), a pub in a nearby village changed hands. The new landlord quickly got into a dispute with the electricity company over the size of his bills. Both sides dug their heels in. Ultimately, they cut his electricity off...

...it was then that the villagers noticed that all the street lights in the village had stopped working...

My wife is currently looking to change her car. She's going to be driving 100 miles every day through winter and beyond. The tractors, trucks, flash-floods, mud and hills up our way make driving her little Ford Fiesta quite a frightening experience, so we're currently looking at a 2015 diesel Nissan Qashqai. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! :)
If she really does have to drive through floods, she may be better off with an EV

The fire in that tesla vehicle: https://bc.ctvnews.ca/fire-that-tra...d-by-car-s-battery-transport-canada-1.6252467
which wasn't related to the traction battery.
I wonder how many of the anti-EV liars and bigots who (I'm sure) touted that incident as another example of how EVs are out to kill everybody retracted and apologised for their claims when the truth emerged?

Driver claimed that the manual door release was 'not entirely intuitive and can be difficult to figure out'.
Video on the news site above shows a demonstration of the door release at 1:30

The door release as described in the Tesla owners manual:
I can easily see how people might not study the manual, and learn how to operate the manual release, or to do that but not familiarise themselves with it well enough to be able to use it when panicking as their car fills with smoke.

But I can also see the lunacy of car designers deciding that because it's a EV, everything has to be electric, including things which are perfectly OK left mechanical.

Is there a way to open a Tesla mechanically from outside if the 12V system has failed? Or other cars designed by stylists who didn't think things through? And what use is an internal manual release to a child in a car seat in a car which has locked their parent out? (Disclaimer - I've read stories of those at a summary level, have never looked into any of them in detail to see if the actual facts are more nuanced).

And of course the anti-EV crowd will use those incidents to justify their stance despite being unable to show how such door locking systems are intrinsic to the nature of EVs, and how EVs simply cannot be designed without auto-locking, and with mechanical door handles etc.

On a related topic, I learned recently that (at least) one maker of 12V car batteries produces a lithium one with intelligence which stops it from totally discharging. Once the charge drops below a certain threshold it disconnects, preserving what's left, and the disconnection can be overridden by a phone app over Bluetooth. So if you get back to your car where a fault (the car's, or yours) would normally have rendered the battery dead, you can turn it back on, open the doors, get in and start it up. For once, a solution not in search of a problem.

Sponsored Links
Back