Is a peoples vote likely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Gotcha. So saying that it is enshrined or carved in the mountains means little if Parliament decide otherwise.

Thanks.(y)

Oh I dont disagree

I only pointed it out because Ellal implied it was not law.

I dont know what parliament process is required to change the law.

Sponsored Links
My prediction...May deal bombed out..Jezza pratting about debating Election.EU will suddenly want to start talking,,because a mess is not good for them...Deal will be fudged..Ref 2 is a constitutional mess and potentially open door to far right. Fek nose.

After A50 becomes effective, yes, for the following 20 years or so.

But not for the exit that occurs on 29th March.
They will start talking rather than land themselves in a no deal mess.

They will start talking rather than land themselves in a no deal mess.

"They" being our incompetent, squabbling government.

But as they've been arguing with themselves for about three years, and still can't agree what it is they want to achieve, they are not competent to carry out sensible negotiations with a serious, organised, rules-base union.

Theresa has deliberately spun it out so there is no time to negotiate a new deal, no time for another referendum, and no time for a general election. Our representative parliament will have to try its best to dig the country into, or out of, the mess it has put itself into.

Are you ready to pick one yet?

Even after the nation has picked one, they have to try to agree terms with EU27.

Which understandably has lost patience.

KittyBrexit.jpg

That's just one person's opinion, and he has no power to carry out his wishes.
By their friends shall you know them.

A large percentage of remainers seem unable to grasp the concept of democracy.
A large percentage of leavers seem unable to grasp the concept that asking the people to choose between the options available after their initial broad direction choice has been acted on is not asking the original question again, it is asking them to refine it, and it is just as democratic as the first one.

And who knows - if in 2/5/7/whatever years time there are options for different trade deals with the EU, maybe a case can be argued for a referendum on that.

People do have a democratic interest in trade deals, after all.

This is the "problem" once you start down the road of policy-making by referenda - it breaks the way our representative parliament works, and there is no way back except by reversing course, which means that at some point you get back to the fork of the first one and resume travelling down the original road as if it had never happened.

But not for the resignation that occurs on 29th March
I hadn't realised Corbyn was resigning.

Perhaps its best for Labour to have a remainer in charge instead.

Mind you that would really upset the 5 million labour leave voters. (y)

it's a funny thing, but two years ago I tried to get Brexers to say which of the possible outcomes they thought they were voting for.

None of them would say.
That's because they either would not, or simply could not, grasp the fact that it is such a convoluted intertwined set of issues that there simply is no such thing as a simple "leave".

Their attitude was breathtakingly simplistic.

I only pointed it out because Ellal implied it was not law.
Nope, I pointed out that it was not 'enshrined' in law by any definition of the word :rolleyes:

If you live by semantics then that is how your arguments often die, notchy ;)

I dont know what parliament process is required to change the law.
There are several ways a law can be proposed and then changed...
But what is important to understand is that in a parliamentary democracy, parliament has the final say.
That is after all what you knew you were voting for, wasn't it?

What is worrying is that in the Brexit bill, EU law was supposed to also be 'enshrined in UK law'.
Nothing could be further from the truth, as much of it is based on 'secondary legislation'.
Which means an act of parliament gives ministers the right to change the law with an effective swipe of a pen.
This was acknowledged in the ongoing debate leading to the vote tonight...

So should we have a tory government in the future, expect a bonfire of rights built up over decades!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back