Waste

Sponsored Links
The company involved says the 1.5bn figure is nonsense. A bit like AR being “found innocent” on her dodgy taxes.
The government previously estimated that £85m worth of PPE secured under the contract would not be used, which is approximately 6% of the true total.

We have asked the DHSC to explain this disparity and why so much of the PPE was never used.

And this was all from just 1 company

Sponsored Links
The company involved says the 1.5bn figure is nonsense. A bit like AR being “found innocent”

The only trial that has been carried out was inside motorbiking's head.

Since he acted as prosecutor and judge, called no witnesses and examined no evidence, his verdict is purely imaginary.

Has he reached a verdict on the betting sleaze yet?

I have mixed feelings about scenarios like this. When covid was initially kicking off and it was all hands on deck, you'd like to think all companies that applied to provide PPE were already well versed in that sector and were acting with integrity. However in reality, that's often not how business works if we're being honest. Re the company referenced in this thread, I don't know whether they originally did act with integrity, however the capitalist part of me thinks well done to them. It can be argued the government's procurement system should have sorted the wheat from the chaff. And of course on that (the procurement system) there are questions over how some contracts were awarded.

I recall a company being interviewed and their sense of frustration at not getting off the first rung of the procurement ladder, even though they were PPE experts. However they caught wind that other companies awarded contracts had less experience, sometimes significantly so. The result of a procurement system that was up against it time wise? Or the result of dodgy deals for mates of those in power? Probably a combo of both.

I know covid wasn't a war, well it was of sorts, however in times of war there's £££ to be made. These scenarios bring out all sorts of dodgy activity and deals.

I'll be honest and say this, and I won't be popular for doing so. If I'd been running a small company at the time covid kicked off that was tenuously linked to the provision of PPE, and I managed to secure a significant government contract to provide PPE that I knew was going to pocket me hundreds of thousands or millions in profit, I'd have been a very happy chap.

FWIW this company doesn't seem to have done anything wrong. As far as I can tell their kit was fit for purpose, it just wasn't needed in the end as we ordered too much and theirs turned up late.

There might be some profiteering going on but that's capitalism for you.

Some companies worked on a cost basis and saw it as a chance to help, not make lots of money. Yes of course we enjoyed the PR and better relationships that resulted. But the goal was to “lean in” and help.

Some companies worked on a cost basis and saw it as a chance to help, not make lots of money. Yes of course we enjoyed the PR and better relationships that resulted. But the goal was to “lean in” and help.
Which is nice, but some of the companies that leant in and tried to help were a waste of time, money and attention. JCB ventilators and pop up PPE firms etc.

The governance on the contracts was abysmal.

Hind sight is wonderful.

I remember on this forum people screaming that the government needed to supply more ventilators.. collaborate with the EU on supply etc etc.

Turns out the UK’s strategy on vaccines was the one that worked.

Or perhaps Sweden’s do nothing strategy and let the rest of the world fix it was the best.

"...Mrs Stoute and her husband bought a £30m seafront villa in Barbados; a yacht; a £6m house in the south of England and an international equestrian centre in Bedfordshire..."

Even MBK, with his dreadful record on law, accounting, numbers and facts, will recognise that you can't purchase the above, with company profits only totalling £800k, lol.

Tory scum.
You could if the company bought them. Profits are what’s left after you have spent out on things. ;)

We have asked the DHSC to explain this disparity and why so much of the PPE was never used.
Not needed maybe? I’ve been paying house insurance for the last 40 years. Never claimed on it so technically it wasn’t needed. Is that a 'waste'? Just look on the PPE not used as insurance in case it was needed. Same as the pop up hospital in the Excel. Better to have too much and not need it rather than have too little, surely?

Hind sight is wonderful.

I remember on this forum people screaming that the government needed to supply more ventilators..
If there was a Tory chum out there, ready to get rich, supplying tat ventilators, there would be ten million of them, ready for landfill by now. (y)

Sponsored Links
Back