Waste

Not needed maybe? I’ve been paying house insurance for the last 40 years. Never claimed on it so technically it wasn’t needed. Is that a 'waste'? Just look on the PPE not used as insurance in case it was needed. Same as the pop up hospital in the Excel. Better to have too much and not need it rather than have too little, surely?
No.

They were asking about the different figures involved. A bit like an insurance quote for 1 price that increases massively once its started but with no recourse to correct it.

Not the use, or not, of the items.

Sponsored Links
I remember on this forum people screaming that the government needed to supply more ventilators.. collaborate with the EU on supply etc etc.

Did you hear anybody screaming that Tory Buddies should come to the front of the queue with their hands out?

Sponsored Links
Hardly a surprise , the NHS acquisition system has always been a joke .
Yes, but I think this took it all to a new level.

Not sure it was just NHS system either.

But again, it's not the amount of waste or not, it's a big difference of figures involved. But it's only public money.

Hind sight is wonderful.

I remember on this forum people screaming that the government needed to supply more ventilators.. collaborate with the EU on supply etc etc.

Turns out the UK’s strategy on vaccines was the one that worked.

Or perhaps Sweden’s do nothing strategy and let the rest of the world fix it was the best.
All of that is wrong. Except maybe some on the ventilators.

The idea of using Dyson and JCB for ventilators was absurd at the time, they were criticised for not taking to existing manufacturers. The right goal but done in the worst way.

We did get a jump on the EU and it saved lives, then the EU caught up. There is a difference but in terms of scale it wasn't that big. The EU strategy was a bit slower on very high risk but faster on medium risk.

Sweden did optional isolation for a while before realising it wasn't working and then locked down. But that isnt good press so the antivaxers don't mention it.

Your hind sight needs an eye test.

Yes, but I think this took it all to a new level.

Not sure it was just NHS system either.

But again, it's not the amount of waste or not, it's a big difference of figures involved. But it's only public money.
Is it ? A relative, manager in communications for NHS has too spend 10’s of thousands every year on phones, pads etc that are unneeded just to maintain his budget each year, he is discouraged by the system from making any savings though he could easily save 10-15% every year.

Is it ? A relative, manager in communications for NHS has too spend 10’s of thousands every year on phones, pads etc that are unneeded just to maintain his budget each year, he is discouraged by the system from making any savings though he could easily save 10-15% every year.
Hmm, waste, it happens everywhere. Agree it's not right but it is on a different scale too.

If you read the reports about the ppe waste, there is a big discrepancy about the amount of money involved, which is what appears to being hidden. Why, is the question, that is being ignored.

Lots of reasons why ppe was purchased in a rush, without too much in the way of checks, and some of that is acceptable. Probably the initial panic stage and amount; there would have been time to properly check on follow up amounts.

But this was the biggest single purchase order, and something like 10% has been used. 90% waste seems excessive even (if it was) for panic purchasing. But then the values being discussed are different by millions of £'s. Sounds like a big black hole to me, and that's the worry.

Your nhs example, admittedly bad, is no doubt all traceable and exact figures, and product, are accounted for.

All water under the bridge imo ;)

S*** happens

Mind you we got a nice bunce out of that covid caper ;)

It Just got given to us (y) never asked

I was all in favour in donating it to some good cause like helping out with the 8 million £ a day to house the refugees

But we came to our senses :LOL:

Better to have too much and not need it rather than have too little, surely?
So maybe that ought to be applied across the board...

Too many doctors, nurses, hospital beds...

Too many care beds to free up the above...

It's all about profits before people and skills !

Buy a boat. They are exceptionally good at consuming money.
I had a nice boat once. Used to regularly take it out on the Thames with Mrs Mottie, our kids, a friend, his wife and their kids. Mrs Mottie wouldn’t go on it and wouldn’t let me take the kids out on it anymore when the Marchioness disaster happened so I sold it.

The reason this is important is the procurement process followed by the Tory government was so utterly inept they wasted billions. We need to learn from that so we don't do it again.
Was it though in the circumstances? PPE has a shelf life, I dont recall anyone saying we had too much of it in 2020. One lesson is that we need to keep significant amounts of PPE in stock, which means most of it will be wasted pending the next pandemic.

Accountants discourage careful use of budgets, and reward spending.

Sponsored Links
Back