EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
Like what?
Let's see what you come up with.

Brand new, don't forget (y)

You could have made it more difficult for me. Plenty of new premium brand ICE cars that actually look attractive. Main trouble with the Kia styling of yours, and I don't mean to be offensive, is that it looks like it's been shunted in the rear. Most odd, not exactly a looker for that money. Anyway, just a very brief search, I don't want to waste lots of time on here, but if you had £51,000 burning a hole in your pocket for a new ICE -

(Please note, first two have delivery mileage/are ex demo, so are termed used, 100 and 450 miles respectively)

Last edited:
You could have made it more difficult for me. Plenty of new premium brand ICE cars that actually look attractive. Main trouble with the Kia styling of yours, and I don't mean to be offensive, is that it looks like it's been shunted in the rear. Most odd. Anyway, just a very brief search, I don't want to waste lots of time on here, but if you had £51,000 burning a hole in your pocket for a new ICE -

(Please note, first two have delivery mileage/are ex demo, so are termed used, 100 and 450 miles respectively)

Funny how you mentioned depreciation earlier as you've picked five of the worst for it :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
That wasn't the criteria here. It was bang for buck. Fifty one thousand of them. :oops:

Come on, don't change the goal posts. I delivered didn't I? (y) ;)

I haven't changed the goalposts: I'm just using the ones that you've been moving around, all thread.

Reliability - Kia consistently top the charts.
Longevity - batteries can be repaired, although very few don't outlast the rest of the car (which is fundamentally the same as in an ICE).
Depreciation - all brand-new cars lose c. 20% in their first year, and c.15% thereafter. EVs no different, and the five ICE that you cited just above lose money at a terrible rate.
Running costs - how does a tenth that of an ICE grab ya?

And, on the depreciation, if you truly believe that, you'd be a fool to not pick an EV up "for peanuts", and chuckle at less than a tenner for 600 miles ;)

I haven't changed the goalposts: I'm just using the ones that you've been moving around, all thread.

Reliability - Kia consistently top the charts.
Longevity - batteries can be repaired, although very few don't outlast the rest of the car (which is fundamentally the same as in an ICE).
Depreciation - all brand-new cars lose c. 20% in their first year, and c.15% thereafter. EVs no different, and the five ICE that you cited just above lose money at a terrible rate.
Running costs - how does a tenth that of an ICE grab ya?

And, on the depreciation, if you truly believe that, you'd be a fool to not pick an EV up "for peanuts", and chuckle at less than a tenner for 600 miles ;)

Yes, but I imagine that used, you are still baying a big premium to own an EV over an ICE. So those bargain charge ups ain't as cheap as they appear. :idea::idea::idea:

As long as YOU are happy with your purchase, that's all that matters.

How does that square with your previous assertion that "EVs depreciate like rocks, compared to ICE" then?

I didn't think I would have to help you with basic maths. Yes, EVs depreciate faster than ICEs. But because EVs have a much higher original new list price, they will still be worth more than the equivalent ICE when a few years old. As they both get towards banger territory (assuming the EV's batteries last this long, I assume used price differentials to be reversed as owning an ageing ICE is a much safer bet. Or do I need to show my workings? :rolleyes:

Unless the "equivalent" ICE has a Jag, LR, Merc, BM, Audi, whatever badge on the front..............

No. If you're comparing an Audi EV to Audi ICE of similar spec/model the EV will depreciate faster, but still be worth more than the ICE in the first few years when used because it has a much higher list price. This isn't complicated.

No. If you're comparing an Audi EV to Audi ICE of similar spec/model the EV will depreciate faster, but still be worth more than the ICE in the first few years when used because it has a much higher list price. This isn't complicated.

BUT I DON'T HAVE NOR WANT AN AUDI EV!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE A KIA EV!!!!!!!!!!

This isn't complicated.

For you, it is :ROFLMAO:

BUT I DON'T HAVE NOR WANT AN AUDI EV!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE A KIA EV!!!!!!!!!!

For you, it is :ROFLMAO:

Are you being deliberately dense??

I was comparing residuals of car manufacturers that have models available in either EV or ICE versions.

YOUR KIA MODEL IS AVAILABLE ONLY IN EV, SO I COULD HARDLY COMPARE YOUR KIA MODEL WITH AN EQUIVALENT KIA ICE MODEL. SO I CHOSE AUDI AS AN EXAMPLE.

Jeez! This is difficult. :rolleyes:

Are you being deliberately dense??

I was comparing residuals of car manufacturers that have models available in either EV or ICE versions.

YOUR KIA MODEL IS AVAILABLE ONLY IN EV, SO I COULD HARDLY COMPARE YOUR KIA MODEL WITH AN EQUIVALENT KIA ICE MODEL. SO I CHOSE AUDI AS AN EXAMPLE.

Jeez! This is difficult. :rolleyes:

We were discussing MY car, and the depreciation of an equivalent.

You think mine is barely above a Dacia, I think it is markedly above a Peugeot.

And so, the 'twain are unlikely to ever meet.

Sponsored Links
Back