EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
Would anyone in here who owns an EV be prepared to charge it overnight in an internal garage?
Mine charges every night, right next to the house. (Like, if I opened the right window, I could just about touch it). It's only not in the garage because my 36 year old ICE is in there. Frankly, I worry more about the ICE going up and torching the garage than the EV. In absolute terms, however, that's not very much. The chances of either of them going up in smoke is small, but the chances of the EV going up, are even smaller.

The question really, is how do insurance companies view it?

They understand risk
...I think it's slightly more complex than that - aren't insurance companies also likely to charge higher premiums if they don't have sufficient information, evidence, experience etc to accurately assess risk, so they're more likely to charge higher premiums for new things, even though the actual risk of those new things might turn out to be lower than the old things?

Sponsored Links
...I think it's slightly more complex than that - aren't insurance companies also likely to charge higher premiums if they don't have sufficient information, evidence, experience etc to accurately assess risk, so they're more likely to charge higher premiums for new things, even though the actual risk of those new things might turn out to be lower than the old things?
So, would be very interesting to see how they view it overall

I checked my household insurance policy when I got the EV and had the charger fitted. There's nothing in it about EVs at all. To be honest, they'd probably be delighted if my 18 month old EV torched the house, because their loss adjusters would be straight on to BMW, looking for a big cheque. There might be a bit of a tussle between BMW and the company who fitted my EV charger, depending on exactly where the source of the fire was thought to have been, but I didn't DIY-install the charger for exactly that reason. Frankly, I wouldn't really care whether it was BMW or the charger installer who bought me a new house...

I also looked at the house insurance when I got my (Chinese-built) e-Bike, (which is currently leaning against our wooden staircase ;)) to see if it had anything in it about not storing them in the house, but all it was worried about, was the particular grade of lock that it had to be secured with, if it was kept in an outbuilding.

As with other EV owners here, why not just admit the risk is too high in burning the house down?

Because it would make us hypocrites, given that we're all happy keeping ICEs in the garage and the chances of them torching the place are even higher. Hypocrisy seems to be something you're comfortable with, though. That's why you can go around telling us that fitting non-genuine parts invalidates our insurance, whilst at the same time, posting threads about the non-genuine parts that you fit to your own car... :rolleyes:

Because it would make us hypocrites, given that we're all happy keeping ICEs in the garage and the chances of them torching the place are even higher. Hypocrisy seems to be something you're comfortable with, though. That's why you can go around telling us that fitting non-genuine parts invalidates our insurance, whilst at the same time, posting threads about the non-genuine parts that you fit to your own car... :rolleyes:
Where did I say I will not be invalidated? I was giving words of wisdom to dummies. Play with fire and you might catch one.

Sponsored Links
Back