EV are they worth it?

Who stores a car in a garage anyway? That's just weird.
I bloody do. Pretty essential if you are to undertake maintenance of any kind, I would have thought. Keeps the vehicle in better shape, surely? Well, as a sad old bαstαrd, I believe it does if you own a vehicle a couple of decades old.

Garages are for storing power tools and converting to additional living space.
Storing power tools is no problem. Mine is a double garage, though.

Did somebody once not say, "...if you want space buy a field". ;)

Sponsored Links
I bloody do. Pretty essential if you are to undertake maintenance of any kind, I would have thought. Keeps the vehicle in better shape, surely? Well, as a sad old bαstαrd, I believe it does if you own a vehicle a couple of decades old.
Hope you don't park it in the garage if the car has been out in the wet, or is damp.

Better off outside. Great if it is thoroughly dry, ie only used in good weather in the summer

Would anyone in here who owns an EV be prepared to charge it overnight in an internal garage?
I would think it would depend where and what type of EV charging port one has installed, charging in the garage one is in the equipotential bonding zone. That is not the case if charging outside the garage. Since most homes have a TN-C-S supply, in the garage there is no requirement for loss of PEN protection, but outside the garage often there is.

Distance from an TN-C-S earthed device is important, this is causing problems with street furniture, how far away from a street light etc. In the main other items which we want to be some distance from the equipotential bonding zone, is not a problem as fire regulations require a distance greater than that which is required for electrical safety, caravan comes to mind, they need from memory 2.7 meters to the building, so the ESQCR regulations will not permit the use of a TN-C-S supply in the UK.

The BS 7671 now talks about similar construction, Section 717 Mobile or transportable units and Section 721 Electrical installations in caravans and motor caravans both talk about earthing requirements and how any items with a metal skin is a problem with the TN-C-S earthing system. So that earthing system is not permitted and it has been clarified this extends to mobile homes with metal skins. Also there is the touch voltage, in the main 50 volt is the limit with AC, after that is stops being extra low voltage, there is reduced low voltage with 55 or 64 volt to earth, but in the main the limit is 50 volt.

However the UK supply is 230 volt +10% - 6% so 216.2 to 253 volt and for loss of PEN protection the standard method is to measure the three phases, and if any phase goes out of the range 216.2 to 253 volt then disconnect not only the lives, but also the earth. This is not a problem, however if you only have a single phase of a three phase supply to the house, the system can't monitor the other two phases, so one can have a loss of PEN without the voltage to a single phase going out of range, so they have permitted the system to go 75 volt from true earth on the PEN, some systems do use a small earth rod as a reference, but not all.

So the in garage or on the drive becomes a big issue when charging. Personally I think TN-C-S should be banned, but that would cost too much, so the EV needs to be so that when charging, with a loss of PEN you can't touch two metal objects one true earth and one connected to the PEN. It seems simple, make the EV class II, but that has not been done.

So charged in garage or on the drive is a big issue. My garage well before I bought the house was turned into a flat, bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen, that would have been a great garage, 24 foot wide, not sure how deep, but I also have a drive at the rear of the house, where I could park an EV 10 meters from the house on its own TT supply, most people are not that lucky.

Who stores a car in a garage anyway? That's just weird.

Garages are for storing power tools and converting to additional living space.

Beats me why anyone would protect their car poss worth tens of thousands by putting it in a garage. Much better use to store a few quids worth of power tools, lawnmower, broken vacuum, an old table that you're sure you'll find a use for one day and a 15 year old mountain bike. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The mountain bike my late mother bought me, about the last item she ever got me, so yes unused and in shed, however have you seen the cost of an e-bike? Main reason I keep wife's e-bike in the bath and mine in the living room of what use to be a garage and now is a flat, is I can put the battery on charge and not worry about it raining.

Yes no socket in bathroom, but there is one just outside the door.

The car what ever type is reasonably water proof, leave it out in the rain and unless sun roof open, seats don't get wet, the same is not true of the e-bike. Yes if it rains while I am out it gets wet, but to leave it outside the chain would soon rust, followed by rest of bike, and the battery is 36/48 volt so not really some thing to be left out in the rain, so I garage them in kitchen and bathroom, unless we have visitors.

There have been EV's for many years,
this to my mind is a fork lift on railway wheels, and one can see the idea of swapping batteries being changed off the vehicle, it would seem EV's have gone backwards.

It would certainly be easier if you didn't mind it looking like a wheeled piece of Lego! However, it's already been done. Nio is a sort of Chinese Tesla.

Personally, I think they're on a hiding to nothing. 60,000 public chargers around the country at present, whereas Nio only have about 30 in the whole of Europe! Obviously, it's a relatively new idea, but for it to work, you're going to need one of those wee buildings, with several of each sort of battery that their various cars take. It will then need a power supply big enough to charge several of them at once, so that as fast as people turn up, there's always a charged battery waiting for them.

The process took 6 minutes and 20 seconds for that guy. However, that didn't include the time to deviate from his route to the swap station, and back to his route. Obviously, you're never going to have as many swap stations as public chargers, so diversions will usually be longer. For me, charging for 10 minutes for a typical toilet stop, or maybe half an hour for a meal stop, it's just not going to be worth it. And however inconvenient it is, using a public charger with a trailer on, imagine how much fun it's going to be, using a swap station with one!

A plus side for some, might be the fact that it's effectively a battery lease arrangement, because you don't get the same battery back each time, but there will obviously be a cost and weight penalty associated with that.

I think it's an idea that appeals to people who don't have EVs. Those that do, generally find that they do most of their charging at home anyway, and on longer runs, the time saving just isn't really worth it.

Mind you, for me, the biggest appeal would have to be seeing them build a tin box with a massive power supply and a couple of dozen EV batteries in it, next door to Nutjob's house...

EV lighting up another airport car park.

Isn't he the same guy who told us all about the "runaway" EV on the M62?

Wasn't he the guy telling us the Luton airport car was an EV?

If so, forgive me if I just quietly consign that the the same bin where I dump most of your FUD, without giving him the satisfaction of another "click"...

Personally, I think they're on a hiding to nothing.
Correct.

Battery swaps are a novelty item which only works when there are a tiny number of cars using it.
Once you have a queue of 2 or 3 people waiting to swap, it's quicker to just charge the battery you have got.
Swaps can't be solved by just building more swap stations either, as they take up massively more space than just installing a rack of charging equipment, and they need just as much electricity to charge the batteries that have been removed from the vehicles so they are ready for others.

Battery swaps do work for some other vehicle types such as mopeds where it's not possible to have larger batteries and range due to weight and size restrictions, and they can be swapped by hand in just a few seconds.

Battery swaps do work for some other vehicle types such as mopeds where it's not possible to have larger batteries and range due to weight and size restrictions, and they can be swapped by hand in just a few seconds.
Didn't work for that guy who was in the lift, though. Playing with lithium batteries is like handling a grenade. Battery swap will work if the battery is standardised and uses a safer chemistry. For instance lead acid doesn't self-combust.

Sponsored Links
Back