EV are they worth it?

Found transcript
eFIXX has learned that British brand myenergi is developing a special EV charger which can power your home from your car it's set to be the UK's first mass Market vehicle to grid plug-in Point sources say the product could hit the market early in the New Year it's understood the launch will be released to coincide with the arrival of a host of mainstream vehicle to grid enabled electric vehicles.

Not sure if it will help? I use a battery at the moment with same inverter as solar panels, only 3.2 kWh want a second battery, the problem it seems is the duck curve with the demand for electric, and already some sunny countries are having problems with too much power during the day.

We have not hit that point in this country yet, but it seems suppliers are getting less and less ready to buy solar power from households, so it seems batteries are the answer, and I am looking to fit a second one.

However working out if going to be a sunny day or not, should I put the machines on (dish washer, washing machine and tumble drier) or not, can you imagine also trying to work out, if to go shopping or power ones house? Making sure your back be 2 pm in winter so car can power house until the off peak starts?

Sponsored Links
We both got several good soakings yesterday, so rather than cook, we decided to go out, get yet another good soaking, and have a carvery. The place was near empty, apart from kids allowed to run around, screaming, at the tops of their voices. Staff, carrying hot plates, and drinks, trying to dodge them. Why do the parents think this is acceptable these days? Had I done it, I would have got a clout for my troubles, at that age.

It was a different attitude when I was growing up. Firstly it would have been embarrasing for my parents (and most others at the time) to have their children badly behaved and bothering/inconveniencing others. Secondly, on the rare occasion we accompanied our parents to a restaurant (never in a pub, this was grown ups' territiory only, as it should be), we would be made to sit at the table, behave and mind our manners. We ere expected to eat childrens' portions of adult food and use cutlery properly. In short, parents were putting some effort into training their children to be acceptable in a civilised, adult environment - ie. we were trainee adults. There were plenty of other opportunities to run around and let off steam, but not in restaurants, etc.

I realise this all sounds very Victorian, but it works. The alternative is what we see these days.

Anyway, I'm digressing. This is an EV bashing topic. ;)

Last edited:
It was a different attitude when I was growing up. Firstly it would have been embarrasing for my parents (and most others at the time) to have their children badly behaved and bothering/inconveniencing others. Secondly, on the rare occasion we accompanied our parents to a restaurant (never in a pub, this was grown ups' territiory only, as it should be), we would be made to sit at the table, behave and mind our manners. We ere expected to eat childrens' portions of adult food and use cutlery properly. In short, parents were putting some effort into training their children to be acceptable in a civilised, adult environment - ie. we were trainee adults. There were plenty of other opportunities to run around and let off steam, but not in restaurants, etc.

The very same here!

I realise this all sounds very Victorian, but it works. The alternative is what we see these days.

Anyway, I'm digressing. This is an EV bashing topic. ;)

Have you considered that a number of the crap parents (the ones with the feral kids) are your generation's offspring? ;)

Anyway, back to mocking the ICE fangirls ;)

Sponsored Links
Please make sure your facts are correct. I never blamed screaming kids for pub closures. I said that I would never frequent a pub where children were allowed, or one that encouraged them with such abominations as soft play areas.

Harry did! But tell me... if people (such as yourself) don't go to pubs that allow children, would that make them:

(a) more likely or
(b) less likely

to close...?

Some stats re. smoking ban and consequent pub closures -

Ah... yes.. The IEA... Right Wing, libertarian free-market loving think tank, with close connections to the tobacco industry... :rolleyes:

'nuff said...:ROFLMAO:

I was watching efix I think it is called, and it seems soon you will be able to use the EV battery to power your house and the new charge points will work in both directions, I did not realise this was not already the case.

Mine can't do it. Some of the Far Eastern ones can do "V2L" (vehicle-to-load), but only a few kW, for the most part. Some can do "V2G" (vehicle-to-grid), so the owner has the option to sell a desired amount of electricity to the grid from his battery at times of high demand, and then buy it back when demand is low.

Harry did! But tell me... if people (such as yourself) don't go to pubs that allow children, would that make them:

(a) more likely or
(b) less likely

to close...?

Ah... yes.. The IEA... Right Wing, libertarian free-market loving think tank, with close connections to the tobacco industry... :rolleyes:

'nuff said...:ROFLMAO:

Please feel free to post contradictory stats from a source you prefer.

Have you considered that a number of the crap parents (the ones with the feral kids) are your generation's offspring? ;)

Unfortunately society has turned against discipline. This breakdown can't just be the fault of parents. Police don't police, criminal 'justice' is often a joke, probation officers are now little more than social workers and teachers seem to fear the kids in schools rather than the other way around. Every level of society seems set up to undermine discipline now, almost like it's a dirty or unfashionable idea. The result can be seen in the law and disorder that seems to be everywhere nowadays.

Where I use to live, we had one pub which banned smoking, and it did a fantastic trade, until law changed and all pubs banned smoking.

The same applies to other bans, and charges to the normal, if a pub bans children, bans dogs, does not have juke boxes or canned music, has peanuts for all on the bar, or any other abnormal thing, it will do well, but if all pubs do it, then it will not do that well.

The same for transport, most visitors to our local railway come, because we still use steam engines, but when all railways had steam engines, no one wanted to use them.

The same applies to cars, one guy local uses a Stanley steam car. Some people have other specials, but when every one had a Moris Minor we did not give them a second glance.

Although some things seem to never change, still we see the school boy, with shining morning face, crawling unwillingly to school.

Well OK not taken in their mothers Chelsea Tractor, but still some walk to school.

I am looking for a new to me car, warned my old car unlikely to pass another MOT, so I want a high car, getting in/out of low cars not easy for me, and a narrow car so I can open the doors in a car park, but the options are limited. OK there are the silly cars 1727951802216.pngbut some thing like the old mini weighing in at approx 600 kg as loads of hills around here, and the heavier the car, the more fuel it uses, the old Vauxhall Agila or old Toyota Yaris size and performance, odd both nearly same spec, but the Yaris did far more to the gallon in real life. But both seem to have got middle age spread, and are no longer nice little run around's.

This 1727952683619.pnglooks good, but never seen one on the road.

Where I use to live, we had one pub which banned smoking, and it did a fantastic trade, until law changed and all pubs banned smoking.

The same applies to other bans, and charges to the normal, if a pub bans children, bans dogs, does not have juke boxes or canned music, has peanuts for all on the bar, or any other abnormal thing, it will do well, but if all pubs do it, then it will not do that well.

The same for transport, most visitors to our local railway come, because we still use steam engines, but when all railways had steam engines, no one wanted to use them.

The same applies to cars, one guy local uses a Stanley steam car. Some people have other specials, but when every one had a Moris Minor we did not give them a second glance.

Although some things seem to never change, still we see the school boy, with shining morning face, crawling unwillingly to school.

Well OK not taken in their mothers Chelsea Tractor, but still some walk to school.

I am looking for a new to me car, warned my old car unlikely to pass another MOT, so I want a high car, getting in/out of low cars not easy for me, and a narrow car so I can open the doors in a car park, but the options are limited. OK there are the silly cars View attachment 357684but some thing like the old mini weighing in at approx 600 kg as loads of hills around here, and the heavier the car, the more fuel it uses, the old Vauxhall Agila or old Toyota Yaris size and performance, odd both nearly same spec, but the Yaris did far more to the gallon in real life. But both seem to have got middle age spread, and are no longer nice little run around's.

This View attachment 357686looks good, but never seen one on the road.

Car manufacturers are like any other sort of manufacturer. They make whatever they think the most people will want to buy. Most people seem to want big, tall cars, I'm afraid. I don't think anybody wants "heavy" cars, but they all want 5 star EuroNCAP safety ratings, and the extra weight just goes with that territory. Same with width. It's very hard to get a decent side impact safety rating with a narrow car. Your original Mini would have had a steel outer door skin, and then a bit of carpet stuck on the inside. It didn't even have wind-down windows at first, never mind electric ones! But it also had all the side impact resistance of a soggy cardboard box...

If you want electric, have you had a look at the Dacia Spring? If you want ICE, you have a few more choices, I think. Smart car maybe?

I am looking for a new to me car, warned my old car unlikely to pass another MOT, so I want a high car, getting in/out of low cars not easy for me, and a narrow car so I can open the doors in a car park, but the options are limited. OK there are the silly cars

Not easy for me, either - and I have a particularly low car, so I just work around it. Open driver's door, pop key in ignition, leaving both hands free. One hand on A pillar, other on scuttle, under where door closes, then slide in. It might fail it's MOT, at the next one, due to the exhaust back box looking a bit the worse for wear - it's the original. Replacement around £200, but it will be worth it.

I actually would have liked to have bought a tourer version (estate), for the load space, when I bought this saloon, but they had a few issues, which the saloon didn't have, and they were quite rare anyway - so saloon it was. When I needed to collect a sheet of 8 x 4 last time, I ended up having to tow the caravan to collect it. To avoid having to go to all that trouble, plus handy for collecting sand/soil/gravel and etc., I have just bought myself a little trailer.

[EDIT] I've just been doing a little more checking out of the trailer, looking at how I could make it easier to get it put away and back out from where I'm considering to store it. The idea was to sit it on it's tail, and on something like a skateboard, to push it to the back of the caravan for parking out of sight..

I thought whilst there, I would just check the tightness of the wheel nuts. I found who-ever had originally assembled it, had fitted 7 of the 8 wheel nuts, on the wrong way round - cone end facing away from the wheel, flat end of the nuts against the wheels. Now corrected, and torqued up.

These trailers arrive as a flat-pack, for self assembly, rather like flat-pack furniture.

Last edited:
Have you guys tried these, by the way?

Lots of variations on that design. They were just the first ones that came up in a search.

Yes I have one, never use it, was my mothers, the problem is I am over 6 foot tall, and getting into the Jaguar XE of my wife's I have to curl up into a ball to get through the door, once in there is no problem, but to get in and out I need the door wide open, lucky I have a disabled badge so can use the wider car parking spaces, but when people have parked too close on one side I do not have the agility to cross over from passenger seat to drivers seat.

Daughters car is better, 1727970402833.png there is more room seat to door to door pillar to door, making it easier, but clearly no where to put that tool.

The quad does not have the side impact bars found on cars, which is why they can be narrower, also lighter, but the low top speed of many quads mean not really suitable.

Sponsored Links
Back