EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
Hmm. A lot of effort going into making the case for EVs from their owners.

Not half as much work as the anti-EV brigade on here seem to be putting into trying to discredit them! Some, are even resorting to telling untruths, in fact :ROFLMAO:

Just doesn't make sense that if they're obviously such a great thing and so superior to ICEs - why do we have to be forced to own them? Something not adding up. :unsure:

Think of it a bit like "if smoking obviously WAS bad for people, they'd stop anyway, why would the government have to force them"?

So it's not that EVs are particularly good or a benefit to us they're forcing them on us? It's because nanny state sees ICEs as bad.

Glad we cleared that up. ;)

Yes. Did you not know that?! :rolleyes: Arguably, "not being bad for you" is a benefit, of course (just like not smoking), but maybe you're not that far down your road of discovery yet...?

Sponsored Links
With an ICE vehicle there is an altenator that charges the 12 volt battery when the IC engine is running.

What in the electric vehicle is the equivalent to that alternator ? If it is a DC to DC convertor that creates 12 Volt to supply the control systems and replenish the charge in the 12 Volt battery then how can the 12 Volt battery go flat if there is still energy stored in the traction battery.

With an ICE vehicle there is an altenator that charges the 12 volt battery when the IC engine is running.

What in the electric vehicle is the equivalent to that alternator ? If it is a DC to DC convertor that creates 12 Volt to supply the control systems and replenish the charge in the 12 Volt battery then how can the 12 Volt battery go flat if there is still energy stored in the traction battery.

Yes, I think they're usually DC-DC converters. However, just like when the engine isn't running on an ICE car, the alternator won't turn and charge the 12V battery, when the ignition is off on an EV, the contactors in the battery pack are open so that the high voltage battery is isolated and none of the 400V cables or components are live. I'm assuming that's why the manufacturers don't have a permanent high voltage feed to the DC-DC converter - just a safety thing.

Yep, a good thing, sells itself, by reputation alone.

And that's what will probably happen. People are naturally resistant to change - particularly as they age. There is an absolute propaganda **** storm raging at the moment, but as time goes by, people will start to think "well, Mr. So-and-so at Number 42 has had an EV for a few years now, and it hasn't set itself on fire...." or "My nephew got an EV and he really loves it! Saving him a fortune in fuel and it's 10 years old now, and still on its original battery"... or "Poor Mrs. so-and-so had that nasty crash the other month, and her car didn't explode"...

People will get out there and start using them, and start to realise that actually you CAN do long journeys in them and live to tell the tale. They'll tell their friends. Like you say, word of mouth. It's nothing new. I can remember when taking the lead out of petrol was going to cause the country to grind to a halt...

What happens if a bottle of petrol is heated to 600C?

Either way, some people can't be helped.
Why would a bottle of petrol be heated to 600C? The lithium battery would be heated to 600C when an adjacent battery is wetted from flooding, splashing or raining. Flooding, splashing or raining has no such effect on petrol.

Last edited:

That's bizarre!

"I've got nothing against EV, I think they're great cars, I've got one myself...

...but I'm now going to drone on for 3/4 of an hour, trying to put everyone off buying an EV by telling them how much they'll depreciate"!:ROFLMAO:

He's literally shooting himself (and all his fellow traders that he claims to care so deeply about) in the foot!

He's not really telling us anything we don't know though. It's absolutely no secret that EVs aren't selling as well as the government had hoped. And yes, manufacturers are pre-registering cars. He's wrong about the €15,000 Euro fine, though. We've left the EU! Taken back control! These are our own, sovereign laws - just like the Brexiteers wanted! :ROFLMAO: British laws enacted by a British government (the last government, I might add). So it's a £15,000 Sterling fine. Yes, it's scary stuff.

Not all bad news though. Some absolutely cracking bargains for me, next time!:)

Why would a bottle of petrol be heated to 600C? The lithium battery would be heated to 600C when an adjacent battery is wetted from flooding, splashing or raining. Flooding, splashing or raining has no such effect on petrol.

Yeah... I hate the way mine does that, every time it rains...:rolleyes:

"I've got nothing against EV, I think they're great cars, I've got one myself...

...but I'm now going to drone on for 3/4 of an hour, trying to put everyone off buying an EV by telling them how much they'll depreciate"!:ROFLMAO:

He's literally shooting himself (and all his fellow traders that he claims to care so deeply about) in the foot!

Of course, he might just be being honest..

Of course, he might just be being honest..

I think he is, broadly being honest. A few mistakes that I could spot, and some rather skewed observations, but I certainly don't think he's lying about EVs getting pre-registered. I did a quick "fact check" of his story by setting the Autotrader filters to look for EVs with under 100 miles on them and there were about 6000. Not that many in the national scheme of things.

I then set it to look for petrol and diesel cars with under 100 miles on them and it came back with 14,000

Not really sure where that leaves his argument?

Sponsored Links
Back