EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
We elect them on partial promises, in the hope they will fulfil the promises.

Or, it seems, in the case of climate target promises, hoping they won't fulfill the promises? :rolleyes:

Of course, they rarely deliver, so then we elect a new lot in, based on their election promises. We almost never get to pick and choose, which policies we actually agree with, it's a matter of voting for one complete package, or another offering.

The majority of the voters, never voted for a headlong rush, to go green, especially at a time, when funding is short.

"headlong rush"...:ROFLMAO: Something that will take more than the rest of most of the people on here's lifetimes, you mean?!

Last edited:
I heard Lord Martin Rees (former president of The Royal Society, i.e. a clever bastard) the other day, talking about Net Zero and related matters.

On the argument that "other countries still churn out massive amounts of pollution, so why should we bother?", he made a very good point.

While other countries are indeed still polluting, we can develop green energy anyway, and even become a world leader in it.

And the former polluters - seeing that the green energy is secure, endless, pollution-free and - eventually - cheaper than what they are currently doing, will just jump on that.
They only sh!t on their own (and the rest of the world's) doorstep because it is cheap and convenient to do so.
When it is no longer cheap and convenient, they'll be all over it.
Once again, we will be a market leader, a world power, the innovator. Just like the "good old days".

We got from metaphorical dirt-grubbing, to mobile phones and solar panels on our roofs in less than 250 years.
China and India have gone into nukes and space travel in less than 50.

Don't make the mistake that change has historically been slow, and so always will be slow.

That's exactly it. It's the same people who most bemoan the loss of our national status as a world leader, who are now holding the country back from showing any kind of leadership. They really won't be happy until they've turned us into some sort of 3rd World dump.

Another thing is our industry is getting hammered. They can't afford the costs to operate here, with high electricity and other costs. It's not green to export these industries to other countries, eg India, China, who have much lower environmental standards than us. Plus we lose thousands of jobs. The dying UK steel industry is a case in point.

Still, as long as we appear to be improving the environment. :rolleyes:

At the rate things are going, it WILL soon be the "green" thing to export those industries to China!

Soon, you'll have to start crying about some other huge country with higher CO2 emissions than us. Right now, we're still just ahead of China on renewables, but people like you are intent on holding us back...

Sponsored Links
...From what I gather, you are running an EV you didn't have to pay for, don't have to stand the loss of value, don't have to pay to charge it, tax, or insure it - so you don't, and cannot really have a clue about the cost of running an EV vehicle. Your opinion is solely based on a free of cost EV, versus a free of cost ICE?
I know people who were lucky enough to buy a half-price council house who are blind to the housing problems of the young.

"A headlong rush" to adopt environmental policies like clean energy and electric vehicles, my brown eye. Fifty years and more it's been lobbied for Greener policies by successive governments and still people pi$$ and moan about it. If more effort had been put in after he first COP conference in '92, we'd be a damn sight better off than now, nor would it be so damned expensive, either.

That's exactly it. It's the same people who most bemoan the loss of our national status as a world leader, who are now holding the country back from showing any kind of leadership. They really won't be happy until they've turned us into some sort of 3rd World dump.
We already are !

Are you justified to rave about EVs and mislead other people when you don't even know the cost of ownership? Are you sent here by the big battery?

Are you a bit "hard of reading"? The fact that mine is a company car, has never been a secret. It's been mentioned plenty of times on here. I can only comment on my own, lived experience. To do otherwise, would be a lie, would it not?:)

As per DNJ above...

From what I gather, you are running an EV you didn't have to pay for, don't have to stand the loss of value, don't have to pay to charge it, tax, or insure it - so you don't, and cannot really have a clue about the cost of running an EV vehicle. Your opinion is solely based on a free of cost EV, versus a free of cost ICE?

As above, my response to Nutjob. Why the sudden surprise? I've never made any secret of it. I pay company car tax on it, just like I paid company car tax on my last company diesel. Both at whatever rate is set by the government. I pay for charging on private mileage and claim back charging for business miles - just like my last company diesel. I'm not paying for the initial purchase or the depreciation - just like my last company diesel.

I can only comment on my actual, real-life, lived experience. To do otherwise, would be dishonest.

I think I've already said on here, that if shopping with my own money, I couldn't afford an EV like the one I'm driving now. But then, I couldn't afford a diesel like the one I was driving before the EV. I've never actually spent more than £1500 of my own money on a car in my life. And despite what so many on here (with, I might add, no direct experience whatsoever, of running an EV themselves) keep telling me about depreciation, I don't see many EVs for less then £1500...

I know people who were lucky enough to buy a half-price council house who are blind to the housing problems of the young.

I know people who have never owned a house, telling home owners about what it's like to own a house... ;)

We elect these people! They tell us in their manifestos that they're going to reduce the country's carbon emissions and increase our energy security. Why are we surprised when they actually do it? Could it be that many people are for the most part, quite selfish and short-sighted? They're happy to vote for this, right up until they have to do something about it, or it affects them...

Perhaps some of you need a political party who are going to campaign on the back of promises to turn us into a 3rd World ****hole? They could outline their vision for the nation's air quality and put up some photos of Delhi, perhaps? I mean, the Tories were getting there on water quality and road maintenance just before they were kicked out!

It's funny how when Britain shows even the slightest glimmer of a bit of leadership, there are people here who want to drag it down. They'll probably be the same ones who spend the following decade crying into their beer about how Britain used to lead the world, and now we're reduced to following the [insert name of former developing nation currently whooping our ass]...:rolleyes:
Calm down for goodness sake.

Who's said they want the UK to become third world esque?

I will agree, we are all good at pontificating until something directly affects us, however the approach government take around deadlines and the subsequent financial cost to the public is often unreasonable.

Calm down for goodness sake.
I'm pretty calm, thanks. Don't worry.
Who's said they want the UK to become third world esque?

A number of posters on here don't want to make the transition to EVs. They don't want to make the transition to renewables. They want to carry on as we've always done, burning fossil fuels, polluting the air we breathe, warming the planet, and prolonging our dependency on other countries who have oil, instead of wanting to increase our own energy security, confront the problems, and develop new technologies, new ways of working and living. That's how you become a third world country.

I will agree, we are all good at pontificating until something directly affects us, however the approach government take around deadlines and the subsequent financial cost to the public is often unreasonable.

In what way is this unreasonable? When you look at the huge advances other countries are making in this area, it doesn't seem that big an "ask"? You might not want to live in an undemocratic, authoritarian regime like China, but you can't deny, they see something and they go for it. They're not doing too badly as a nation, using that approach! We just want to keep kicking the can down the road.

Why the sudden surprise?
It is both sudden and a severe shock to us that someone who doesn't pay for the majority cost of an EV should tell us that EVs are great. This would be treated as false advertising and disinformation in any other setting. You could get nicked for that.

Sponsored Links
Back