EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
Some serious questions about the 'success' of EV sales figures.

Two year old Corsa EV with 10 miles on the clock dropped 45% of it's value (£11,355) in 2 years. WTF?

EV residuals must be getting hammered.
On Debate Night last night (think Scottish version of Question Time) a member of the audience asked why people in Scotland (most of it prob applies UK wide) are getting almost forced down the route of various green initiatives at an accelerated pace, especially when most of these cost the average person more and we still have countries that are pumping out nasty stuff on a massive scale.

Of course, the argument shouldn't be a return to smoke/smog filled sky across the UK, however surely there's a balance to be struck?

On Debate Night last night (think Scottish version of Question Time) a member of the audience asked why people in Scotland (most of it prob applies UK wide) are getting almost forced down the route of various green initiatives at an accelerated pace, especially when most of these cost the average person more and we still have countries that are pumping out nasty stuff on a massive scale.

It's the green meanies :)

Sponsored Links
Here is Scotland it looks as though the SNP is hoping to introduce a Wales type approach to the 20 zones. Currently 'out for consultation' however we all know what'll end up happening ...

'Use public transport' they say, eh no thanks.

It can happen tonight, tomorrow, or next week, who knows.

Yeah... Two years and counting, but maybe "tomorrow" eh...? ...or maybe the day after... ...or if that doesn't happen, maybe the day after that... ...or the following one... :ROFLMAO:

If you don't face this risk, why would your insurance be so high? I have no such risk, so my insurance cost collapses.

Well, of course, I have no idea what my insurance on that car actually costs, but if it's high, I imagine it'll be partly because it's so bloody quick, Partly because of repair costs, should I even "bin" it. (...Although naturally, as it's going to turn itself into a fireball the next time I go out in the rain, they shouldn't really have to worry about parts and repair costs...):rolleyes:

Your pronouncements on insurance are the stuff of legend on here. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for your next ludicrous gaffe....

Of course, the argument shouldn't be a return to smoke/smog filled sky across the UK, however surely there's a balance to be struck?

We elect these people! They tell us in their manifestos that they're going to reduce the country's carbon emissions and increase our energy security. Why are we surprised when they actually do it? Could it be that many people are for the most part, quite selfish and short-sighted? They're happy to vote for this, right up until they have to do something about it, or it affects them...

Perhaps some of you need a political party who are going to campaign on the back of promises to turn us into a 3rd World ****hole? They could outline their vision for the nation's air quality and put up some photos of Delhi, perhaps? I mean, the Tories were getting there on water quality and road maintenance just before they were kicked out!

It's funny how when Britain shows even the slightest glimmer of a bit of leadership, there are people here who want to drag it down. They'll probably be the same ones who spend the following decade crying into their beer about how Britain used to lead the world, and now we're reduced to following the [insert name of former developing nation currently whooping our ass]...:rolleyes:

We elect these people! They tell us in their manifestos that they're going to reduce the country's carbon emissions and increase our energy security. Why are we surprised when they actually do it? Could it be that many people are for the most part, quite selfish and short-sighted? They're happy to vote for this, right up until they have to do something about it, or it affects them...

We elect them on partial promises, in the hope they will fulfil the promises. Of course, they rarely deliver, so then we elect a new lot in, based on their election promises. We almost never get to pick and choose, which policies we actually agree with, it's a matter of voting for one complete package, or another offering.

The majority of the voters, never voted for a headlong rush, to go green, especially at a time, when funding is short.

I heard Lord Martin Rees (former president of The Royal Society, i.e. a clever bastard) the other day, talking about Net Zero and related matters.

On the argument that "other countries still churn out massive amounts of pollution, so why should we bother?", he made a very good point.

While other countries are indeed still polluting, we can develop green energy anyway, and even become a world leader in it.

And the former polluters - seeing that the green energy is secure, endless, pollution-free and - eventually - cheaper than what they are currently doing, will just jump on that.
They only sh!t on their own (and the rest of the world's) doorstep because it is cheap and convenient to do so.
When it is no longer cheap and convenient, they'll be all over it.
Once again, we will be a market leader, a world power, the innovator. Just like the "good old days".

We got from metaphorical dirt-grubbing, to mobile phones and solar panels on our roofs in less than 250 years.
China and India have gone into nukes and space travel in less than 50.

Don't make the mistake that change has historically been slow, and so always will be slow.

Another thing is our industry is getting hammered. They can't afford the costs to operate here, with high electricity and other costs. It's not green to export these industries to other countries, eg India, China, who have much lower environmental standards than us. Plus we lose thousands of jobs. The dying UK steel industry is a case in point.

Still, as long as we appear to be improving the environment. :rolleyes:

Here is Scotland it looks as though the SNP is hoping to introduce a Wales type approach to the 20 zones. Currently 'out for consultation' however we all know what'll end up happening ...

'Use public transport' they say, eh no thanks.

Don't worry too much. We've had 20 mph limit in Bristol for over 10 years. No one pays any attention, and if you drive around at 20 you will stand out and a queue will soon form behind you. Only some pedants and old dears in aging Hondas stick to 20. I drive everywhere at 30 where it's safe - just as we used to before all this nonsense. Never had a problem and it's a lot better for fuel economy and the environment.

Well, of course, I have no idea what my insurance on that car actually costs, but if it's high, I imagine it'll be partly because it's so bloody quick, Partly because of repair costs, should I even "bin" it. (...Although naturally, as it's going to turn itself into a fireball the next time I go out in the rain, they shouldn't really have to worry about parts and repair costs...):rolleyes:

As per DNJ above...

From what I gather, you are running an EV you didn't have to pay for, don't have to stand the loss of value, don't have to pay to charge it, tax, or insure it - so you don't, and cannot really have a clue about the cost of running an EV vehicle. Your opinion is solely based on a free of cost EV, versus a free of cost ICE?

Sponsored Links
Back