EV are they worth it?

In the midst of a housing crisis, when locals can't get on the ch list, their homes are being given to foreigners.
Whoever told you that was lying to you - you should stop listening to them.

But even if you want the lies to be true, listening to them won't make them true, will it.

Anyway - we can all see what's going on here.

The council estate up the road from me is rapidly changing colour and I'm seeing more and more women wearing head to toe sheets wandering around.

They Certainly weren't born on the council estate, because up until 20 years ago or so, it was almost completely caucasian.

I sometimes visit the shops on the estate. I have my own eyes and ears,

And your eyes are seeing people who aren't white, and you hate that.

Your ears are hearing languages which aren't English, and you hate that.

What's the term for people like you?

Oh yes - racist.

Sponsored Links
You need a tinfoil car cover for your EV. if you have one of those, "they" can't come and steal your electricity in the night...;)
Not my tin foil hat - its in black and white on the national grid website and legislated for by the government.

Through smart charging EVs can in fact help to balance the system, helping consumers use green power when it’s plentiful (and often cheaper) and avoid times when there’s more load on the network. Vehicle-to-grid technology could even send that power back to the grid when needed.

With this in mind, the UK Government has introduced Electric Vehicle Smart Charge Points Regulations, which ensure that EV charge points will have this smart functionality.

Similarly in the US, Smart Chargers and Time of Use Rate programmes will support balancing the load throughout the day.

Not my tin foil hat - its in black and white on the national grid website and legislated for by the government.

Let me try making it even more black-and-white for you, then you might be able to understand it better.

Through smart charging EVs can in fact help to balance the system, helping consumers use green power when it’s plentiful (and often cheaper) and avoid times when there’s more load on the network. Vehicle-to-grid technology could even send that power back to the grid when needed.

With this in mind, the UK Government has introduced Electric Vehicle Smart Charge Points Regulations, which ensure that EV charge points will have this smart
functionality.

So, does your car support vehicle-to-grid?

Does your charger have V2G functionality?

Does your supplier have a V2G tariff?

If the answer to all those is "yes", are you on such a tariff, and was it compulsory?

With this in mind, the UK Government has introduced Electric Vehicle Smart Charge Points Regulations, which ensure that EV charge points will have this smart functionality.

Similarly in the US, Smart Chargers and Time of Use Rate programmes will support balancing the load throughout the day.

(Sigh... :rolleyes: ) - but only if the vehicle user ALLOWS it! Nobody is just going to take some electricity out of your car without asking you, in the same way as they won't take petrol out of your car without asking you! (Unless they're criminals of course...)

Sponsored Links
V2G should be 2-way only in terms of benefit, not just energy flow.

i.e. if you have an EV & charger which support it, but you don't enable it (which would be your choice), your smart meter doesn't let you benefit from the power other EV owners are contributing to the grid.

No, I don't have a scooby how or if that could work.

To be honest, I'm at the point where if I had to choose between an EV with 400 miles of range, or a cheaper, lighter one with 200 miles of range, I'd go for the latter because as long as it has more range than my bladder, I'd be stopping anyway, so I may as well plug in while I take a leak!

It will happen and its not scare stories you need to wake up.
Youre talking about what might happen, and how its not compulsory (detailed by avocet), but totally ignoring what is and does happen, shortage of fuel at fuel stations for various reasons.

It's not me that needs to wake wake up. Look at actual facts.

I'm still a user of ice vehicles, so I have no skin in the game, just an objective view that petrol and diesel is not the future.

Those regulations require that any EVSE installed is connected to a communications network, which in the vast majority of cases means it has an internet connection.
They also require that the EVSE is able to vary the charge rate of a vehicle connected to it in response to external signals.
Nothing in that requires the use of those features, and V2G isn't mentioned at all.
Here is the full text which you won't read: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2021/9780348228434

The same thing. When charging occurs and how much charging can be varied. That is all. No V2G, no stealing of electricity, no compulsory anything.

What's not to like? If you think you're going to suddenly have to use the car while this is happening, just don't allow it. If you don't trust the app via which is controlled, you can always unplug the charging cable!

Supposing you suddenly get a call, when your car has been drained by the network, and you need to go a distance urgently? A relative rushed to hospital, or similar. Your ICE is ready to go, or can be quickly refuelled, and on your way.

Supposing you suddenly get a call, when your car has been drained by the network, and you need to go a distance urgently? A relative rushed to hospital, or similar. Your ICE is ready to go, or can be quickly refuelled, and on your way.

I've had that exact situation. Phone call one evening. Dad, 150 miles away, had cut a couple of fingers off one hand with a circular saw and was in hospital. Car wasn't fully charged. Had it been a "minutes matter" situation, I probably would have taken the old Alfa. However, it wasn't, so I took the EV. Had to charge for about 5 minutes on the way. Got to the hospital and joy of joys, a row of chargers in the public car park, right near the hospital entrance. Plugged in and got more than my 5 minutes back, as I was parked so close to the entrance.

There will always be "what-ifs". What if ANY car (EV or ICE) had suffered a puncture on more than one wheel? What if the motorway had been closed due to an accident? What of it had broken down?

However, if you go through life making every choice based on the one-in-ten-thousand scenarios that "could happen", everybody would buy Transit vans just in case, one day, they had to move a really big wardrobe.

I see the conclusion is now published in the Luton Airport car fire case:

Nutjob - you need to be careful of those ICEs... ;)

Sponsored Links
Back