EV are they worth it?

Likewise, if I ran it down to 5% and parked it up for a week, that might not do it a lot of good, but running it down to 5% and then plugging into a charger and carrying on, won't bother it. If (like now) I'm not planning any long trips, I won't charge beyond 80%. That's fine. I usually run the battery down a bit and look for the days each week with the greatest availability of green energy (usually windy ones) and charge then (unless I actually need to go somewhere further than the range that's in it).

So you spend much of your time, planning your life around your car and it's battery state of charge. I don't, I check the fuel gauge, if it's low, I just instantly top it up at a garage, with diesel.

Sponsored Links
Ok lets take your picture and it could charge 2 cars - now take a terraced house which could fit 1 car out the front - there are 7M terraced houses and that means 3.5M charge outlets will need to be fitted.
Aint gonna happen.

That's what they used to say about remote properties being supplied with electricity...

You need look no further than smart meters being remotely cut off or being changed to a prepayment one. There is no conspiracy needed - its already happening.

As opposed to the "good old days" when they'd just send a man round to cut you off if you didn't pay for your electricity...

As opposed to the "good old days" when they'd just send a man round to cut you off if you didn't pay for your electricity...

And now they do not need to obtain a warrant to gain entry if the person in the house refuses entry to the man with the cutters. Just a sequence of key strokes in the office and the meter switches off the supply.

Sponsored Links
Yes correct. They could not do it without you letting them in. Smart EV chargers are required by law to allow control from outside "primarily for the benefit of the electricity system;" its there in black and white on the gov website.

And even then, it didn't say it could happen without the owner's permission! This is just SO easy! You could unplug it and nobody would be able to nick any electricity from it at all!
Thers a new rule that COULD becoming out, insisiting that all EV's are plugged in so that the charge can be stolen

So you spend much of your time, planning your life around your car and it's battery state of charge. I don't, I check the fuel gauge, if it's low, I just instantly top it up at a garage, with diesel.

Yes, it's quite a chore, really. it takes a good 5 seconds to check the app on my phone to see which days are going to be best for charging that week... :rolleyes:

Of course, I don't HAVE to do this. If I wanted to be a bit more selfish, I could just plug in every night, regardless. I mean, it would be more trouble, plugging in every night, rather than just on the nights I wanted to charge, but if I was feeling really petulant, I guess I could force myself to do it, just to make a point...

Think of it as being a bit like sorting my rubbish for recycling. I could just throw it all in the same bin, if I was minded to be selfish, but I can actually see that trying to recycle stuff is a good thing for humanity in the long term, so I do it. In fact... sorting my recycling is actually a lot more work!

It's a curious thing. A lot of the old curmudgeons on here will happily tell us all about how "when they were a lad", they have to get up half an hour before they went to bed, eat a small piece of bread an' drippin' for breakfast (if they were lucky enough to get breakfast, that is), walk 100 miles to school through chest-deep snow, get beaten within an inch of their lives by the teacher, walk 100 miles back, get beaten some more...

...and that's usually followed by some sort of tirade directed at "the youth of today", r "snowflakes" or somesuch...

...and yet they think it's too much trouble to plug your car into a charger on certain days! Some of them probably even get in their cars and drive to a petrol station (whilst grumbling all the way there and back about how much "hassle" plugging an EV in to charge is...)!

Thers a new rule that COULD becoming out, insisiting that all EV's are plugged in so that the charge can be stolen

Yes, and it COULD require that you register your phone and computer password with "the government" so that they can log on to your charger to make sure you don't disable it from your phone or PC. And it COULD require that an electricity company operative be permanently stationed outside your house, with some lockwire and a set of seals, so that you can't unplug your EV, to stop them "stealing" your electricity out of it. And I guess it COULD also demand that police constable was also permanently stationed there too, to intervene in the inevitable civil unrest that would be bound to ensue when an irate householder suddenly turned freedom fighter, and tried to take counter measures to resist... ;)

And now they do not need to obtain a warrant to gain entry if the person in the house refuses entry to the man with the cutters. Just a sequence of key strokes in the office and the meter switches off the supply.

...thereby saving the rest of the population, who pay their bills, the cost of doing so!

...and yet they think it's too much trouble to plug your car into a charger on certain days! Some of them probably even get in their cars and drive to a petrol station (whilst grumbling all the way there and back about how much "hassle" plugging an EV in to charge is...)!

No, just the need to know what the future will bring, and to second guess it.

Sponsored Links
Back