EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
If charging is not available yet, those that don't have access to it will obviously not be buying an electric car

Try telling the idiot tenant next to my Dad's premises that trespassed so he could get the cable to stretch from his front window to his battery contraption. Parked 2 feet from the front door. He seemed surprised that we didn't want his car parked our land - only "once a week" according to him.

Typical EVangelist! :rolleyes:

No - they will just run on water.

The UK were the first to develop and adopt many things. Being the first adopter, does one no financial favours at all - all the expense, then perhaps development might find an entirely different and incompatible path. EV's will likely be just a temporary blip, to be replaced by something better, and more environmentally friendly.

We developed railways, only to eventually be left way behind, as other countries took advantage of our expensive mistakes, and were able to avoid them.

Sponsored Links
Meh... not really. It's a common recommendation - a bit like the 85% towing rule. What does the damage to the battery, is charging to 100% AND LEAVING IT THERE for a long time. Charging to 100% and driving it within a few hours, doesn't really bother the battery. I've done that plenty of times before a long run. 40,000 miles and no observable degradation of the battery yet. Likewise, if I ran it down to 5% and parked it up for a week, that might not do it a lot of good, but running it down to 5% and then plugging into a charger and carrying on, won't bother it. If (like now) I'm not planning any long trips, I won't charge beyond 80%. That's fine. I usually run the battery down a bit and look for the days each week with the greatest availability of green energy (usually windy ones) and charge then (unless I actually need to go somewhere further than the range that's in it).

That's great, but sounds like a right faff. Can you programme the car to only accept 80% charge, or do you have to pull the plug at the right time?

There are folk telling you what the future will bring, (a gradual phasing-out of ICEs) but you don't seem to want to believe them...

The future, in regards to - your need to charge your EV. Having to predict, in advance, how much charge you might need in, in your milk float.

Obviously, your milk float, will only be a passing phase, to be replaced with something more practical.

I literally read it on the national grid website
Vehicle-to-grid technology could even send that power back to the grid when needed.
You read what a technological feature could do.

But that's not what I asked, is it.

I asked for proof of this:
So I have my EV charging on my drive over night and go to drive off for work in the morning only to find that the national grid has sucked all the power out of it for themselves.
And then later I go to charge it cause its flat as I need it later but the national grid says I cant charge it yet cause they are too busy.

i.e. proof that they will, not "could", WILL, take ALL of the power out of your car overnight and WILL later not let you charge it.

Want to try again?

No, I don't have a scooby how or if that could work.

A way to maybe make it work has occurred to me - simple pricing tariffs, if we get to the stage of dynamic pricing based on grid load. Wouldn't be rocket science to have a EV tariff with more attractive rates for charging than non-EV ones (which I think some suppliers already offer?) to encourage EV owners to sign up, and peak demand-management prices set high for EV customers who don't also sign up for V2G, and lower for those who do.

It would have to be tied into EV tariffs, as you can't penalise non-EV owners for not joining in V2G.

You read what a technological feature could do.

But that's not what I asked, is it.

I asked for proof of this:

i.e. proof that they will, not "could", WILL, take ALL of the power out of your car overnight and WILL later not let you charge it.

Want to try again?
Go ahead walk through your life with the trust of a child.

Try telling the idiot tenant next to my Dad's premises that trespassed so he could get the cable to stretch from his front window to his battery contraption. Parked 2 feet from the front door. He seemed surprised that we didn't want his car parked our land - only "once a week" according to him.

Typical EVangelist! :rolleyes:

Jut a quick show of hands from the other EV divers on here please? Does anyone else park on other peoples' drives to charge their EVs?

Reagan here, seems to think it's "typical" behavior?

P.S. extra points if you do it AND you're brown...;)

Sponsored Links
Back