EV are they worth it?

While you are not asking me, I'll tell you my reasons anyway (in the interests of openness).

I have always had company cars.
My previous company car - a 2 litre diesel, which I'd had for 6 yrs from new - was beyond economical repair (it still ran, but was festooned with dashboard warning lights).
Even if it wasn't, FD said that the tax burden to both myself and the company (from me keeping it) was intolerable, compared to EV.
I run my own diary and travel commitments and, since Covid, no longer have to commute into the office "just because". So I don't.

I now have a car which:

- goes everywhere I need it to
- costs between 10 and 15% of the cost of the previous one, to "fill up" (saving me c. £150 per month)
- costs more £200 per month less to me, in BiK benefit
- cost less to the company, than them buying me a ICE or hybrid
- costs less to the company, in ongoing tax liability
- costs the company nothing / less, when I have to venture into ULEZ or LEZ for client visits.

Winner for the company.
£350 per month winner for me.
Sounds great as a company car you dont pay for.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So tell us why you have an EV and not an ICE please

But for now I'm happy with my petrol vehicle.
My two are 24 & 35 years old, both like a drink, but I don't do many miles a year.
I can buy a lot of petrol for the price of new/nearly new replacements, which will take years of use to justify the energy/emissions used in their production.

One, and 14 years, but ditto to everything else.
I don't have to pay to park my car for 5 minutes at a petrol pump.
When I go to put petrol in my car.
I wish I could pay as little as that for my ICEV.

I might buy one myself in that case.
No you won't.

show us your maths then
17000 miles per year
Diesel 18p per mile
Electricity 3p per mile
15p per mile saved, £2550
The rest is not paying £250+ for servicing every year and for now, not paying anything for VED. That will change from next year, so the savings will be slightly less.

Another way of looking at it is that in the last 12 months, electricity for charging amounted to £601 for the entire year.
Previously diesel was £60 per week, and that was over 3 years ago when diesel was cheaper than it is today.

and spending, to save the £3000?
The vehicle was £6000 more than the diesel equivalent at the time, which was 3 years ago.
Savings have already covered that and £1000s more.
The previous vehicle was scrapped, so there was no question about buying a new one - only what fuel it would use.

But the anti-EV loonies don't want those others to be allowed that option.

As usual you are totally wrong and have completely misread the situation.. No one is being prevented from owning EVs. It's the pressure from government forcing these impractical souless things on an unwilling majority that is the issue.

Please just stick to dishing out insults. You are much more suited to this.

I can assure you that a lot of anti-EV loonies really don't want anybody to have them.

Not because they are "impractical" - for many owners they are exactly the opposite, and if you try to tell someone who finds them so that they shouldn't buy one because they're impractical then trying to stop people who want them from having them is exactly what you're doing.

Not because they are "soulless". Not because "unwilling" people are being "forced" to have them.

(When you say "soulless", BTW, do you mean that they don't make noise and smells?)

They object to their mere existence, because they fear explosions and fires. They fear that they are part of a government plot to take away freedom to travel. They fear that they are part of a government plot to monitor and surveil and track everybody's movements. They fear they are part of a government plot to imprison us in 15-minute cities by geofencing them. They fear that they are part of a government/WEF plot to do away with the whole concept of anybody owning anything.

Just go and look at the swivel-eyed weeblers who flock to the YT channel of the prat with many hats, for example, if you don't believe me.

I can assure you that a lot of anti-EV loonies really don't want anybody to have them.

Not because they are "impractical" - for many owners they are exactly the opposite, and if you try to tell someone who finds them so that they shouldn't buy one because they're impractical then trying to stop people who want them from having them is exactly what you're doing.

Not because they are "soulless". Not because "unwilling" people are being "forced" to have them.

(When you say "soulless", BTW, do you mean that they don't make noise and smells?)

They object to their mere existence, because they fear explosions and fires. They fear that they are part of a government plot to take away freedom to travel. They fear that they are part of a government plot to monitor and surveil and track everybody's movements. They fear they are part of a government plot to imprison us in 15-minute cities by geofencing them. They fear that they are part of a government/WEF plot to do away with the whole concept of anybody owning anything.

Just go and look at the swivel-eyed weeblers who flock to the YT channel of the prat with many hats, for example, if you don't believe me.

In reality, I think very few actually really do fear the "fire and explosion" aspect. They'll regurgitate it and share it as part of their propaganda war, but they don't actually believe it themselves. The main reason is that they're just crying libertarians and climate change deniers who don't like change.

If the government weren't forcing us to have ridiculously overpriced EVs, I wouldn't be here debating this. If EV or ICE ownership was left entirely to personal choice that would be fine. But it's not. If it was down to personal choice and the market chosing, EVs would just remain a niche, fringe activity - bit of a novelty. They would be bought by the sort of people who take pride in being the best at recycling in their street and go on marches to ban X or free Y. The sort who adopted Toyota Pious ownership early on. EVs would eventually wither on the vine as the novelty wore off and most would drift back to ICE ownership.

If governments are forcing something on you - you know (A) it's not in your best interests (B) it's likely to be in the government's interests (C) it's going to cost you, big time.

Sponsored Links
Back