EV are they worth it?

If the government weren't forcing us to have ridiculously overpriced EVs, I wouldn't be here debating this. If EV or ICE ownership was left entirely to personal choice that would be fine. But it's not. If it was down to personal choice and the market chosing, EVs would just remain a niche, fringe activity - bit of a novelty. They would be bought by the sort of people who take pride in being the best at recycling in their street and go on marches to ban X or free Y. The sort who adopted Toyota Pious ownership early on. EVs would eventually wither on the vine as the novelty wore off and most would drift back to ICE ownership.

If governments are forcing something on you - you know (A) it's not in your best interests (B) it's likely to be in the government's interests (C) it's going to cost you, big time.

Like I said... "crying libertarians"... :rolleyes:

Next you'll be telling us that other damaging activities like smoking; alcohol consumption; high sugar / saturated fat / salt foods; urban air quality; gun ownership; drug use and trade; prostitution; etc should all be left to "personal choice and the market choosing"...

Sponsored Links
If governments are forcing something on you - you know (A) it's not in your best interests (B) it's likely to be in the government's interests (C) it's going to cost you, big time.
Exactly this. And I can not see everyone who has a car now will ever have an EV we just cannot produce or transport or store enough electricity can we ? dont forget that the Gov also wants to end gas so all those cookers/ boilers that now use gas will need electricity.

If the government weren't forcing us to have ridiculously overpriced EVs, I wouldn't be here debating this. If EV or ICE ownership was left entirely to personal choice that would be fine. But it's not. If it was down to personal choice and the market chosing, EVs would just remain a niche, fringe activity - bit of a novelty. They would be bought by the sort of people who take pride in being the best at recycling in their street and go on marches to ban X or free Y. The sort who adopted Toyota Pious ownership early on. EVs would eventually wither on the vine as the novelty wore off and most would drift back to ICE ownership.

You'll be thanking me and the other pioneers when you buy your first EV, used, for no more than an equivalent ICE (y)

Sponsored Links
Next you'll be telling us that other damaging activities like smoking; alcohol consumption; high sugar / saturated fat / salt foods; urban air quality; gun ownership; drug use and trade; prostitution; etc should all be left to "personal choice and the market choosing"...

Jeez!! You really want politicians to be controlling every single aspect of your life?? That is very Orwellian and more than a little frightening. Ronald Reagan used to say the most frightening words you could ever hear are "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you." He was right.

Basically. I don't want anyone micro-managing my life - certainly not politicians. If you like or need to be controlled, fine. But I don't. Life is dangerous, but I don't want puritanical, over zealous people interfereing. If I want to kill myself with fags, booze sugar and whores - that's my choice. Yes, give me the information - then let me decide for myself.

Of course, all this control, like the climate control industry, is yet another money gouging activity by the government. Eg. they want to protect me from the perils of having a Coke with sugar - by taking extra money off of me for the pleasure. Quelle surprise!! Tax, tax and more tax.

The trouble with letting idiot, vain, untrustworthy politicians rule your life is they don't know when to stop. Banning smoking in pubs was a bit heavy handed - they could have left some pubs smoking, others not. Much better than closing them. However, I could see some sense in this ban. But now they can't stop themselves from banning activities that harm no one but the smoker - banning smoking in pub gardens. This is just complete control freakery. Who are they protecting? Open air smoking harms no others at all. Just control for control's sake.

And you lap it all up, yes they say jump - you say how high? Well one day, the controllers will want to control and curtail some activities or pleasures you enjoy. Guaranteed.

Last edited:
You'll be thanking me and the other pioneers when you buy your first EV,

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It's the way you tell 'em!!

I'm 58 so, if I'm lucky, I have 20 or so years driving ahead of me. Hopefully I can scrape through in ICEs - though I'm sure the government will want to curtail this freedom and make the fuel needed unaffordable. Unless I can run my diesel on veg oil.

At the very worst I may have to get some kind of non plug in hybrid contraption. But EV, no way.

Exactly this. And I can not see everyone who has a car now will ever have an EV we just cannot produce or transport or store enough electricity can we ? dont forget that the Gov also wants to end gas so all those cookers/ boilers that now use gas will need electricity.

Yes, it's crazy. They're busy closing reliable gas and coal stations - reducing our generating capacity. At the same time mandating to increase our consumption more and more into the future. It's not sustainable with windmills or the current grid for the majority of people to drive electric cars or heat their homes with electricity - bearing in mind also millions more people in an ever rising population. But the eco zealot EVangelists haven't even thought this one through in their insane dash to get everyone plugged into a soon to be very overloaded grid.

Though speaking of banning gas boilers I wonder how serious the government really are on this. Was watching a YT video yesterday about a new estate of houses that are being built now. Was amazed to see all the houses had gas boilers installed. I thought they had phased these out for new builds?

Hopefully I can scrape through in ICEs

Slum it in your van, more like (y).

I could understand you sticking with a comfortable and reliable oil-burner in car form, but a van?
I did my first few hundred thousand miles in little diesel vans - in my twenties, for work - up and down the country.
Tiring then: it would be brutal now.

And ICE fuel is cheaper - a lot cheaper - than it was 15 yrs ago..............

If I want to kill myself with fags, booze sugar and whores - that's my choice.

Sure.

And it is not my choice that I have to pay to support your (ultimately, likely futile) treatment. But that is a whole other argument, for another place.

Finally, speaking as someone whose close friend recently lost his dad to terminal lung cancer, I very much doubt that you would be so bullish if you'd seen the suffering and wracking pain he went through, in his last months.

Sponsored Links
Back