We might be getting imperial measurements back.

Sponsored Links
Americans invented the plane
The very first powered air plane is disputed but in any case it wasn't the Americans. John Stringfellow of Chard was one of the first - and is claimed to be the first by the Chard Museum.

Sponsored Links
Hundred weight bags, presumably.
Both measures, really - my 2nd and 3rd V6 Capri were bought in the Netherlands, so 50kg each for those. Can't say the minor difference in weight made a noticeable difference

Mind giving us the main gist? It requires me to register, which I don't want to do as I probably won't use that service again

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked they are actually 15" or 17"? Or is it just convention like 3x2 timber, which was never 3" by 2"?
Rim sizes are still imperial!

The whole tyre sizing is a mad mix. work out the diameter of 235 55 R18

235mm x 55% = 129.25mm x 2 =258.5mm

+ 18" (457.2)

= 715.7mm

Have you checked they are actually 15" or 17"? Or is it just convention like 3x2 timber, which was never 3" by 2"?
It's a bit different for wood. In most cases "3 x 2in" should actually be written "ex-3 x 2in" which indicates the sawn sizefrom which material is machined, not the finish size (it will finish at about 70 x 44mma in metric), and there is also the fact that if you specified "3 x 2in exact size" then you would get exactly 3 x 2in material. Generally not too important on carcassing, but imperative that you get the exact size when doing jobs like structural beam end repairs and replacements.

I admit that all this stuff can trip up people outside of the trade - for those of us on the inside we just live with it

NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS.

Two farthings = One Ha'penny. Two ha'pennies = One Penny. Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and One Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies). Once Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.

Quote... Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett

i always like to visit the imperial measures at Trafalgar Square
Missed out the crown ( 5 bob)

• Thanks
Reactions: SFK
You still get Gammons in Pounds and Dunces.

I hear Michael Gove wants his L,S,D back.

The Tories want to shoot themselves in the foot metre again.

Last edited:
If we are going all traditional, why not reintroduce the groat? Fof that matter why not have local measures, like they did in the middle ages? It would be a bit confusing to start with, but I'm certain that there would be a boom time for ruler makers ("So you want a Norwich ruler and an Ipswich ruler? That'll be 30 groats, please. 20 for the Norwich and 10 for the Ipswich because a Norwich inch is a lot longer...")

Sponsored Links
Back