We might be getting imperial measurements back.

Afaik car wheels are still measured in inches ???
People can choose to use what ever unit they like. Last time I looked ny tyres were metric. That could be converted to French inches if some one wanted to but they would still be metric items.

LOL Dropping BSW and BSF annoyed me - I had a decent expensive set of spanners for them. Eventually nicked. I now have imperial and metric AF sizes as need the imperial at times.

Sponsored Links
car wheels afaik are still measured or referred to in imperial

15 inch
17 inch
Ect ect
Have you checked they are actually 15" or 17"? Or is it just convention like 3x2 timber, which was never 3" by 2"?

some people would like to see (and ask for) loose goods in imperial measurements.
When people buy self service loose they take a number of items not a weight. If a pack they look at the number and quantity in them.

Butchers a bit different. One in B'ham market refused to offer me 1lb of chopped lamp so said 1/2 a kilo. Bit more so what. Local butcher couldn't care 2 hoots - he'll just convert. My wife was fond of saying things like a 1/4 of sliced meat. 1lb or some quantity of sausage. It messed us up at time, too much usually so I suggested you know how many you want so ask for slices or a certain number of sausages. A joint of meat is a bit trickier but she can see the size. Same with the bacon, sliced meat and sausages. ;) The fat sausages are a bit of a problem, 2 for me and she will just want one. 2 fat is more than 3 slim weight wise.

Loads of people order like this anyway. My wife did on joints anyway.

Sponsored Links
Car wheel rims are measured in inches, both the diameter and width. A tyre will always be a combination of metric, percentage and imperial. A 185/65/15 tyre will be185 millimeters wide, 65% of 185 millimeters deep with a 15” inside circumference to fit a 15” wheel rim.

They did try promoting metric tyres and rims, a few cars still on the road have them, but it never caught on.

Last edited:
Have you checked they are actually 15" or 17"? Or is it just convention like 3x2 timber, which was never 3" by 2"?
Like some other items they could be imperial but that doesn't really matter does it. The fit of the tyre is the imporant area and that is unlikely to be a simple imperial size so tyres finish up being specified in metric to some agreed standard that tyre manufacturers meet. Actually I don't think I can recollect buying a tyre to an imperial size. I can recollect some rather strange conversions when timber suppliers sort of went metric.

No and I won’t be bothering either

I just bought a set of 15 inch wheels
Tis how they were ordered
I rang the dealer up and said I want 4 x 15 inch wheels in that particular style

Bloke on the phone understood what I wanted

As I said earlier the UK missed a trick by not teaching both systems; clearly some chaps on this forum were lucky in that it was part of their school education, certainly wasn't in mine (secondary school '63 thru '69).
Anyone who did Nuffield Maths at secondary school (progressively introduced at an increasing number if schools from about 1961/62 onwards, I believe) would have done both. By the early 1970s Nuffield was pretty much universal, again from what I've been told. I'm glad I did it, really - it made other subjects like physics, chemistry, woodworking (I did a bit of that in Imperial and detested it - but then the teaching was absolute carp, delivered by teachers who didn't give a stuff, had little feel for the subject and had zero patience) and metalwork far easier IMHO

Anyone who did Nuffield Maths at secondary school (progressively introduced at an increasing number if schools from about 1961/62 onwards, I believe) would have done both. By the early 1970s Nuffield was pretty much universal, again from what I've been told. I'm glad I did it, really - it made other subjects like physics, chemistry, woodworking (I did a bit of that in Imperial and detested it - but then the teaching was absolute carp, delivered by teachers who didn't give a stuff, had little feel for the subject and had zero patience) and metalwork far easier IMHO

I was only taught Imperial, though I was aware of Metric. When Metric came along in the UK, it was (compared to Imperial) easy to pick up.

You must be a youngster then. Crossply tyres were imperial sizes.
Maybe I never bought a car that used crossply. Or even just not fitted with them when they could be. 1st one was one of these, used, cheap and a coupe which I sprayed bronze yellow with a matte black roof - ;) bad idea as it attracted the police. Plenty of driving foot flat to the floor when possible and friend bought it when I sold it. Bit annoyed with me - maggots spilled in the boot and thought I had removed all ;;).

Thinking about it I'd put that around 1970. Maybe 1 or 2 years later.

Last edited:
The original rotboxes! At least the chassis could be repaired easily, a bit like Landys. A mate had a Vitesse saloon at one time - went like stink in a straight line (2-litre straight six), but absolutely carp on tight corners. A real Q-car - he crunched the bonnet and the only replacement he could get from a scrapper was the Herald one (Vitesse's had twin heads) - so it looked like a Herald but went more like a GT6. A genuine 2-litre Cortina eater. I used to race him to work in my Spridget (1275) and only beat him because I could corner a lot faster. Early to mid-1970s

I think James May said he liked Heralds because you could drive them flat out on a set or cross plies and it would be great fun and within the capabilites of the average driver whereas with many modern vehicles, you couldn’t physically drive them flat out.

The original rotboxes!
No rot problems and it must have been oldish when I bought. Usual suspension bolt problems though. Twice. Once on the front so changed both and once on the rear part way back from London but got me home with rather splayed rear wheels. ;) One side rather strange from memory.

:) A slab in the boot improved handling.

Sponsored Links
Back