We might be getting imperial measurements back.

Sponsored Links
And tbh not that bothered what is on some politically correct form
NHS forms from a pre-op are not "politically correct". They are, in part, so that the anaesthetist calculates the correct dosing so that they don't kill you.
Which probably gives you more than 2 choices of gender / sex ???
It actually requires birth gender - again so that you get the correct medication. BTW whether you like it or not gender reassignment by surgery is a fact and is legal
Speedo’s read mph
Maybe in your split screen Morris Minor, but all the cars I had from the 1980s onwards had TWO sets of numbers
Than there is miles per gallon criteria
So how do you square that with buying petrol in litres?
Drive on any road in the UK and there will be speed limits signs in MPH
Agreed, so what? Go to Ireland and their speed limits and signs are in kilometres. Are you saying that the British are more stupid than the Irish in being unable to work in kilometres? Anyway, look at any engineering drawing or architect's plans produced since the 1970s and it is in SI units (or metric) - you won't find a single one in Imperial, in the same way that you probably won't find a single modern machine tool or woodworking machine made here after early 1970s with scales in anything other than metric. But hey, that's only industry...

Last edited by a moderator:
NHS forms from a pre-op are not "politically correct". They are, in part, so that the anaesthetist calculates the correct dosing so that they don't kill you.

It actually requires birth gender - again so that you get the correct medication. BTW whether you like it or not gender reassignment by surgery is a fact and is legal

Maybe in your split screen Morris Minor, but all the cars I had from the 1989s onwards had TWO sets of numbers

So how do you square that with buying petrol in litres?

Agreed, so what? Go to Ireland and their spped limits and signs are in kilometres. Are you saying that the British are mire stupid than the Irish in being unable to work in kilomeymtres? Anyeay, look at any engineering drawing or architect's plans produced since the 1970s and it is in SI units (or metric) - you won't find a single one in Imperial, in the same way that you probably won't find a single modern machine tool or woodworking machine made here after early 1970s with scales in anything other than metric. But hey, that's only industry...

Ok what ever

As you say it’s all metric leave it at that

Fact is I was brought up in both. I can use (and visualise stuff) in both. But any form of calculation is faster and less error prone in metric

Sponsored Links
Block Chevy V8 engines GM have probably sold my crate engines than any other manu

And probably more than every other manu combined
There are lots of average badges looking for cheap mass produced engines. Why waste money on sophisticated European or Japanese stuff when you can have throw-away American tat.

Last edited:
There are lots of average badges looking for cheap mass produced engines. What waste money on sophisticated European or Japanese stuff when you can have throw-away American tat.

What you know about it noseall could be written on a postage stamp with a six inch brush

And incidentally that “ thing” in your car that has caused you confusion is a jack
U use it to change a wheel if you get a puncture / flat tyre :)

It will
Explain it in the car manual ??

152.4mm actually

Well yes

And that other thing that comes with the jack is a wheel brace it’s for undoing the wheel nuts

Tip for you noseall don’t undo all the nuts fully untill the car is jacked up

And remember they are right hand threads

Meaning to un do it’s anti clock wise and to tighten it’s clock wise ;)

If accuracy, logic or scientific refinement are required - metric always wins.

Like you I only really use metric, but if you're working with something like the thickness of newspaper, 1 or 2 thou is probably easier than using 0.0254mm or multiples of. Horses for courses.

poor thing.
Wasn't easy. Both wore bib 'n' brace overalls and the old-old boy wore a flat cap. There were no goggles, dust masks, gloves or ear defenders. Setting out stud walls (to match metric plasterboards) was hilarious especially the dodgy fractions. I did enjoy my formative years though and am glad for the experience. I can still out (hand) dig my young oppo on the rare occasions we don't/can't use an excavator.

Setting out stud walls (to match metric plasterboards) was hilarious especially the dodgy fractions.
I've had it the other way round where we had a young chippy installing joists ahead of us laying a plywood floor (with the PB beneath to be supported on MF, so metric/Imperial didn't come into it for the ceiling boards). My instructions were quite simple - all joists must be at 16in centres so we carry the joints on a joist - not 400mm, not 406mm, not 410mm, but 16in (because the boards were 2440mm, i.e 8ft long), and here's an 8m tape marked in both. Stupid fecker couldn't get his head round using inches and globally screwed up - mind you he wasn't even installing at 400mm or 406mm or anything else consistently. On day 3 we canned him

BTW I still wear a flat cap in inclement weather (or basically 2 days in 3 round here)

Sponsored Links
Back