We might be getting imperial measurements back.

I feel your pain, albeit from a different angle.

How i wish for a government with proper conservative values that would actually try to maximise the benefits of Brexit, that could actually spend their time governing as opposed to constantly firefighting accusations of sleaze and corruption and that didn't resort to giveaways and populist taxes to deflect from the accusations.

There are real potential benefits to Brexit, I agree….but they don’t make money for Tory MPs and their mates so won’t happen.

potential benefits:
such as renationalisation of some industries, which would be easier outside EU
repair damage to our marine biodiversity
invest in UK agriculture and replace CAP
increase state aid to make UK a leader in green technology etc
improve or replace some legislation

This govt are only interested in poll ratings, it’s all about protecting Johnson and winning the next election. It is corrosive and damaging to this country.

This government stand for nothing, have no real policies and are entirely reactive - they throw out a policy usually a leak to the press then they ditch it or reverse if it’s not popular.

This govt is a right wing populist party, it has no policies, no honour, no integrity, driven by self interest - that’s why I so dislike them.

Cameron, Major, Thatcher - those governments had integrity, they had policies, they didn’t ride roughshod over our constitution. Johnson is destroying democracy

Sponsored Links
I started putting up the framework for a garden room today, doing the uprights at 40mm centres. This is where it gets silly, the OSB board on the outer skin is 1220mm wide, so I have to trim 20mm off the OSB to match those centres, the plasterboard for the interior is 1200 wide which will fit. OSB is imperial, plasterboard is metric, why? The plasterboard is manufactured in the UK, not sure about the OSB.

Sponsored Links
I started putting up the framework for a garden room today, doing the uprights at 40mm centres. This is where it gets silly, the OSB board on the outer skin is 1220mm wide, so I have to trim 20mm off the OSB to match those centres, the plasterboard for the interior is 1200 wide which will fit. OSB is imperial, plasterboard is metric, why? The plasterboard is manufactured in the UK, not sure about the OSB.
I believe the reason given is "trimming allowances". In a workshop when you are breaking down sheet timber materials on a panel saw you always start with two "dust cuts" to take the handling dings out of the edges and give you reference edges start with, so you've already lost 5 to 10mm off the two dimensions to start with. No, I'm not 100% convinced, either.

One thing though is that you can still get Imperial PB - to special order only, however. A lot of the time if doesn't matter these days because the ceilings are acoustically separated from the floor above by resillient bars (two birds with one stone?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny that, coming from you. You have plenty of posts that mention pints, yards, feet and inches. You obviously found more than a single reason to mention them.
We obviously have not stopped using pints, miles, and such-like. Some water depth markers have feet on them, but I think mostly folk are using metric.

All school kids know how many cms there are in a foot.

SI units of linear measurement are mm’s and metres.

As a woodworker I always get confused when people talk about centimetres
Where my missus used to work a couple of her fellow who dropped major clangers because they didn't understand that architects' drawings are in SI units (i.e. metres and millimetres), and have been for 50-odd years. Of course these people worked in centimetres, which is a peculiarly inaccurate base measurement, that for some obscure reason furniture retailers seem to favour (10mm or just over 3/8in increments, WTF?). Either they probably weren't paying attention at school, or there were some teachers out there who were similarly confused with metric units (but why?). I did metalwork including technical drawing, which was all SI units by the late 1960s (including the exams), although we did cover Imperial measurements as well, especially to do with threads and lathe turning work.

Incidentally, when I was doing some work for a German firm in the early 1980s I was surprised to find that they were still manufacturing a limited range of Whitworth spanners - it appears that many aircraft manufacturers were still using BSW threaded bolts to fix engines to wing pylons because the thread form was stronger than any of the equivalent metric coarse or UNC (American) thread forms. It wasn't just Rolls-Royce engines, either, Pratt & Whitney and GE engines were using them at the time as well. There was even a DIN standard which covered specific BSW threads. A true case of choosing the most appropriate design for the task as opposed to blindly following a politician's dead cat

We are now flying at 25000 feet.
All important aviation stuff is done in metric. Aviation will be completely metric sooner rather than later, thankfully. Your captain will still give the obligatory feet altitude though (as well as metres) , to keep the old duffers happy.

All important aviation stuff is done in metric. Aviation will be completely metric sooner rather than later, thankfully. Your captain will still give the obligatory feet altitude though (as well as metres) , to keep the old duffers happy.

Most aircraft are fitted with altimeters that show both but just as English is the international language in aviation, feet is used for altitude, partly tradition, partly because it's more accurate than metres by a factor of three, which could be enough to cause a collision, millimetres might be a bit cumbersome. Metres are used for altitude in Russia and China.
Metres and kilometres are often used for horizontal distances in aviation.

Most aircraft are fitted with altimeters that show both but just as English is the international language in aviation, feet is used for altitude, partly tradition, partly because it's more accurate than metres by a factor of three, which could be enough to cause a collision, millimetres might be a bit cumbersome. Metres are used for altitude in Russia and China.
Metres and kilometres are often used for horizontal distances in aviation.
The primary unit of measurement of altitude and elevation or height is the metre

Metric units will keep ALL the Duffers happy, it requires intelligence to use imperial units.

Sponsored Links
Back