We might be getting imperial measurements back.

A unit of measure does not define accuracy.

Quite, but a distance in feet is more finely defined than the same distance in metres, purely based on physical size, neither is more accurate.
In aviation they will usually set an altitude in multiples of 1000 feet, maybe less in certain areas, 1000 metres is perhaps too big a window for that purpose.
Americans invented the plane so that's probably the starting point of feet becoming used, regardless, as long as it's an internationally recognised measure, and feet is, and it works, what's the problem?

Sponsored Links
Quite, but a distance in feet is more finely defined than the same distance in metres, purely based on physical size, neither is more accurate.
In aviation they will usually set an altitude in multiples of 1000 feet, maybe less in certain areas, 1000 metres is perhaps too big a window for that purpose.
Americans invented the plane so that's probably the starting point of feet becoming used, regardless, as long as it's an internationally recognised measure, and feet is, and it works, what's the problem?
The word you're looking for is precision.:)

We are now flying at 25000 feet.
The whitworth thread was aimed at relatively soft iiron so has a tendency to be stronger in soft materials. BSF came about due to steel.

Loosely speaking the continentals used a blistering number of different thread pitches on the same diameter bolts and screws. ISO have rationalised the the number of pitches that can be used - on what could be called standard nuts, blots, screws etc anyway.

I work in imperial on my lathe and milling machine, That's largely because it took a while to find machines in good condition and certain difficulties on metric stuff that I suppose could be got round by fitting DRO's but the lead screws use different pitches. A 0.001" reading scale has fairly wide divisions so easy to set fractions of that if needed. Metric threads are a bit trickier but can still be cut in a couple of ways.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean exactly when you say quite, then contradict yourself?

How about measure in nanometers, is that accurate enough compared to the foot?

"Minister unable to convert ‘universally understood’ imperial measurements

A government minister on Tuesday struggled to convert from metric measures into what Downing Street has called “universally understood” imperial units.
Lord Parkinson appeared perplexed when quizzed on the conversions amid reports the government will open a consultation on reviving imperial measures.
Appearing on Sky News, the arts minister was first asked how many ounces are in a pound - to which he incorrectly said 14. Host Kay Burley continued: “If you are ordering a pound of sausages, approximately how many grams of sausages are you getting? 250, 350, 450, or 550?”
Cambridge University-educated Lord Parkinson hesitantly chose the first answer - again, incorrect.
The moment came amid reports that the UK may switch back to imperial units, reports Zaina Alibhai:"

That was a quick read...

Really don't see the point. OK - some people would like to see (and ask for) loose goods in imperial measurements. To me it seems sensible to show both systems equally prominently on price labels but anything more is looking backwards and insular*.

As I've said I'm not happy that most stuff measured in metric is smaller that the equivalent in imperial but we have gone to far down the journey to Metric measurements to go back. As I said earlier the UK missed a trick by not teaching both systems; clearly some chaps on this forum were lucky in that it was part of their school education, certainly wasn't in mine (secondary school '63 thru '69). First really met up with Metric went I went college in '69 and even then some classes were taught in imperial, some in metric (and even worse starting in Metric and switching to USA imperial part way through).

*would the next reversion to keep a few old fogeys be happy reverting to £/S/D from £/P :)

TBH even considering a change like this means they are a bunch of clowns. It just wouldn't happen in some areas that have used metric units for yonks anyway.

Perhaps they think the change would please the USA and ally us to them more effectively. Maybe we should start using the US gallon. Also if it happens order our nuts and bolts in imperial decimal. What about BSF and BSW. Prior to the switch to metric the motor industry here switched to the UN system. The USA now uses metric. Nuts and bolts can be bought to any of the standards but cost varies. Fact is loads of things are made to metric sizes. Some stuff just stays the same size as it always has been. Not much though.

Really don't see the point. OK - some people would like to see (and ask for) loose goods in imperial measurements. To me it seems sensible to show both systems equally prominently on price labels but anything more is looking backwards and insular*.
It would clearly be a step backwards.

What's not so clear is if that step would be 0.78m, 78cm, 780mm, 30", 2.5' or 2 feet 6 inches. o_O

Sponsored Links
Back